Message Board Thread - "Seeking critiques of two heatloss business models"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Seeking critiques of two heatloss business models bobt 4/13/2007
I am a licensed contractor in central Massachusetts,considering starting a business with IR technology. I am fairly knowledgable about building science, and figure that with good training I could handle thermography well enough. What is not clear to me is whether I could find sufficient demand for a profitable business. I have two models in mind: 1) a stand-alone heatloss survey service, without remediation, and 2) the same, but with remediation of the low-hanging heatloss fruit. I would prefer the first, but I notice most IR folks are doing roofs or water damage or electrical surveys, and few seem to simply survey and report on heatloss. Also, few seem to survey and weatherize.

I would very much appreciate hearing from anyone who has tried and succeeded, or tried and failed, at either of those models. They seem a good service to provide, but I don't know if the market can be reached in this fashion. Thanks and regards...

Re:Seeking critiques of two heatloss business models JNTOOLS 4/13/2007
Bob, there are several ways of looking at it. If you are advertising or selling yourself as a contractor who uses a thermal imager to find areas of heat loss/gain etc., some (I am being kind when I say some) clients will look at your thermography as a marketing tool or a way to boost up the cost of the fix. There are contractors that use thermal imaging at no cost to the client to help locate the source of a known problem; most clients find this acceptable. If you start pointing out other issues that the client is not aware of, chalking up thousands of dollars of repairs that you are going to do, they might just throw you out of there home/building = (Conflict of Interest).

Second scenario if you purchase an imager go thru the training, use your past expertise and charge a fee to help make a home more energy efficient and you make no money off the fix, than you will have much more credibility as a stand alone thermographer. You will occasionally get the client that will tell you, “What good are you if you do not fix the problem”. Once you explain to them why you do not fix the problem, most rational people will use you anyway.

Remember most people are calling you because they are angry about how much they are spending on there utility bills. If you decide to get into residential building thermography, you want to make sure to really know your target, make sure you know how to sell your product. And most important have credibility.

J. Nachman
Longwave Inspection Services LLC

Re:Seeking critiques of two heatloss business models Ted Berdowski 4/16/2007
bobt wrote:
licensed contractor in central Massachusetts,considering starting a business with IR technology. I am fairly knowledgable about building science, and figure that with good training I could handle thermography well enough. What is not clear to me is whether I could find sufficient demand for a profitable business. I have two models in mind: 1) a stand-alone heatloss survey service, without remediation, and 2) the same, but with remediation of the low-hanging heatloss fruit. I would prefer the first, but I notice most IR folks are doing roofs or water damage or electrical surveys, and few seem to simply survey and report on heatloss. Also, few seem to survey and weatherize.

I would very much appreciate hearing from anyone who has tried and succeeded, or tried and failed, at either of those models. They seem a good service to provide, but I don't know if the market can be reached in this fashion. Thanks and regards...
Hi

Im a pest management professional and well...I see great value in infrared!

This is what I find when im working and i agree with JNTOOLS.

Business will come and your doors are open wide open for new revenues. Its up to you to go after the door thats open. Being self employed I take whatever I can get. I suggest the same to you.

Ted

Re:Seeking critiques of two heatloss business models pjomaux 11/24/2007
Ted Berdowski wrote:
Hi

Im a pest management professional and well...I see great value in infrared!

This is what I find when im working and i agree with JNTOOLS.

Business will come and your doors are open wide open for new revenues. Its up to you to go after the door thats open. Being self employed I take whatever I can get. I suggest the same to you.

Ted
I have a question about the previous picture. How can you measure the glass temperature like you do on the picture. I've learned it was not possible with the LW camera.

Cordially

Pierre Jomaux

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012