Message Board Thread - "New Course - IR Thermography for Weatherization"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
New Course - IR Thermography for Weatherization Gary Orlove 5/3/2007
This course is intended to give the student the knowledge base necessary to perform IR surveys of residences, primarily single family homes, to identify weatherization issues. The class covers IR camera setup and operation, image downloading and basic report generation, fundamentals of IR theory and heat transfer, techniques, tips and tricks for weatherization IR surveys and application examples. A good weatherization IR survey can identify thermal anomalies that indicate missing insulation and insulation defects due to damage, moisture and improper installation. The IR survey can also provide indication of moisture or wetness as well as air infiltration and exfiltration. The course covers the caveats and environmental conditions necessary for a successful weatherization IR survey, as well as pitfalls to avoid...

See http://infraredtraining.com/courses/ir_weatherization.asp

Gary Orlove
Infrared Training Center

Re:New Course - IR Thermography for Weatherization Darrin 5/9/2007
Looks like an excellent course!
Any plans to teach it in Ontario?

Re:New Course - IR Thermography for Weatherization jmr 5/19/2007
what is the difference bet. bldg.sci.-level 1 and weatherization ?
they seem similar yet different.
when will the n.y. site for weatherization class be determined.

mic

Re:New Course - IR Thermography for Weatherization Gary Orlove 6/5/2007
While there is some overlap, the Building Science course focusses more on water leakage issues, water damage, and their remediation.

The Weatherization course places more emphasis on insulation voids, air leakage, and blower door testing, and energy audit issues.

Gary Orlove
Infrared Training Center

Re:New Course - IR Thermography for Weatherization HVAC 6/8/2007
Gary Orlove: I hope that this course will recommend getting certified by "ACCA" for Residential Load Calculation. A Load Calculation SHOULD be done before recommending window upgrades or adding ceiling insulation as these affect the air conditioning load significantly. For example; A client of mine had an esimate for replacing her single pane windows with double pane low "e" glass and was ready to sign the paperwork to get started. After doing a load calculation, I would have to replace the 2 yr. old "Trane 16seer 410A" A/C system and replace it with a with a system 1 1/2 ton smaller. This added a cost that she and the window people didn't think about. Having an over sized A/C system can cause major problems in the home. I've seen 3/4" hard wood floors buckle, wall paper pealing and mold growth due to changes made to the building envelope with no regaurd for checking to see how the changes would affect the A/C. Doing A Load Calculation would also help in determining if the system is to small which also creates problem with the home and high energy bills. You can't due a complete energy audit without doing a Load Calculation.

Protect your self in case of a lawsuit, and get the "ACCA" certification and 1 of the 3 approved Load programs or have a Licensed HVAC contractor do the Load Calculation. Attorneys will rip you apart if this is not done.

You can contact me direct at: kno-bll@sc.rr.com for more information on "ACCA" and the best Approved program to buy.

Re:New Course - IR Thermography for Weatherization HVAC 6/8/2007
Correction to above. E Mail me at: kno-bll@sc.rr.com

Re:New Course - IR Thermography for Weatherization sos 11/30/2008
Gary Orlove wrote:
urse is intended to give the student the knowledge base necessary to perform IR surveys of residences, primarily single family homes, to identify weatherization issues. The class covers IR camera setup and operation, image downloading and basic report generation, fundamentals of IR theory and heat transfer, techniques, tips and tricks for weatherization IR surveys and application examples. A good weatherization IR survey can identify thermal anomalies that indicate missing insulation and insulation defects due to damage, moisture and improper installation. The IR survey can also provide indication of moisture or wetness as well as air infiltration and exfiltration. The course covers the caveats and environmental conditions necessary for a successful weatherization IR survey, as well as pitfalls to avoid...

See http://infraredtraining.com/courses/ir_weatherization.asp

Gary Orlove
Infrared Training Center
Gary,
I checked the site you listed found the cost but no locations or times liked to go sounds like what I'm looking for.
steve

Re:New Course - IR Thermography for Weatherization Gary Orlove 4/6/2009
Please check our calendar at
http://infraredtraining.com/courses/course_calendar.asp?course=29®ion=1&sort=

for dates and times

Re:New Course - IR Thermography for Weatherization mr.heater 3/3/2011
Is this the Level 1 residential energy audit thermographer course? If so, it was a great course, which, I recommend to anyone in the weatherization field. Since taking this course, I have improved on my ability to find problems both before and after work is done.

Re:New Course - IR Thermography for Weatherization David Brown 3/4/2011
mr.heater wrote:
the Level 1 residential energy audit thermographer course? If so, it was a great course, which, I recommend to anyone in the weatherization field. Since taking this course, I have improved on my ability to find problems both before and after work is done.
Yes. We found that the term "Weatherization" seemed to be confusing for some people so we changed the name of the course.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012