Message Board Thread - "need help deciding on th right camera"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
need help deciding on th right camera Gendron 8/8/2007
I am new to the thermography business and i am looking to purchase a the B-Cam due to the fact that it is much less expensive than other models. Would this be a good purchase for home inspections or should I look to get a better model.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re:need help deciding on th right camera IRJay 8/9/2007
Buy the best camera you can afford! With that in mind you are just starting out in the business and not sure what your hard earned money will actually get. I suggest renting a camera or having the sales reps demo the cameras for you. This will allow to you to make a more informed decision on usage. The other factors should include resolution of the image, measurement criteria like how hot will need to be measured. Number of images saved in a working period. Ease of use. Can training be part of the purchase (please plan on being trained).
Attend the Inframation conference and get some user input or the clinic on introduction to thermography.
Many things to consider. Good luck!!

Re:need help deciding on th right camera john@FLIR 8/9/2007
IRJay wrote:
best camera you can afford! With that in mind you are just starting out in the business and not sure what your hard earned money will actually get. I suggest renting a camera or having the sales reps demo the cameras for you. This will allow to you to make a more informed decision on usage. The other factors should include resolution of the image, measurement criteria like how hot will need to be measured. Number of images saved in a working period. Ease of use. Can training be part of the purchase (please plan on being trained).
Attend the Inframation conference and get some user input or the clinic on introduction to thermography.
Many things to consider. Good luck!!
The BCAM will work fine, however, most customers opt for the newer BCAM SD. It has better thermal sensitivity and stores images to a removeable SD card.

Good Luck!
John

1-800-GO-INFRA
http://www.flirthermography.com/

Re:need help deciding on th right camera Derby 8/9/2007
Gendron wrote:
w to the thermography business and i am looking to purchase a the B-Cam due to the fact that it is much less expensive than other models. Would this be a good purchase for home inspections or should I look to get a better model.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I am both a home inspector and an ITC certified thermographer using a FLIR B-Cam SD. I'm quite happy with it and it works as advertised. Most things found in a building inspection fall within the range of the SD. It stores radiometric images on an SD memory card that is easily read by any computer with a card reader or via a USB cable. Now go get trained and you'll understand what this means.

Re:need help deciding on th right camera Gendron 8/9/2007
Derby wrote:
I am both a home inspector and an ITC certified thermographer using a FLIR B-Cam SD. I'm quite happy with it and it works as advertised. Most things found in a building inspection fall within the range of the SD. It stores radiometric images on an SD memory card that is easily read by any computer with a card reader or via a USB cable. Now go get trained and you'll understand what this means.
thanks for the advice. I am taking the building sciences course next week. I am also going to be using a demo B-cam SD for the course. thanks again for the advice.

Re:need help deciding on th right camera Gary Orlove 8/9/2007
Why not learn more about the BCAM, some science, and some tips on how to start performing building inspections with a free web based training course specifically designed for the BCAM?

Click the link below to go to the training portal.
http://www.irtraining.coursehost.com/

Gary Orlove
Infrared Training Center

Re:need help deciding on th right camera Gendron 8/13/2007
Gary Orlove wrote:
learn more about the BCAM, some science, and some tips on how to start performing building inspections with a free web based training course specifically designed for the BCAM?

Click the link below to go to the training portal.
http://www.irtraining.coursehost.com/

Gary Orlove
Infrared Training Center
Thanks for the advice Gary. I did take the B-Cam basics course online. It was a great course for a beginner like myself. I am taking the building sciences class this week and I now feel like I have a good basic Idea of the camera and what I will be learning.

Re:need help deciding on th right camera dandersen 8/18/2007
Purchase the best camera that you can afford, but make sure you leave enough money to be trained properly in its usage.

A 120 x 120 standard BCAM is better in trained hands than the best FLIR camera made, operated by someone who doesn't know what they are trying to achieve.

I would rather put the thousand dollars into training than the BCAM SD.
Increase in .05 sensitivity is useless if you can't properly utilize the camera.
You can always upgrade later. Prices are coming down as technology advances.
You need to get to work in the field as soon as possible with the most education available to you.

When you attend ITC they will show you how to increase the resolution of your thermal scan through proper use of your camera.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012