Message Board Thread - "Moisture detection in drywall/sheetrock"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Moisture detection in drywall/sheetrock JTIR 8/10/2007
Recently, I observed what appeared to be a water stain at the joint between the ceiling and a wall separating the bedroom from a bathroom.

Upon shooting the spot with the BCAM, I was suprised to see the suspect areas surface warmer than the surrounding area. Normally, my shots have shown cooler areas.

Is the reason for this that moisture is condensing in this area, thus giving off higher temperatures at the surface, as opposed to evaporating moisture conditions?

What variables do I need to consider? I am relatively new to IR, and have only done the basic course so I am using the BCAM solely at this time as a tool to help me better understand and troubleshoot these conditions.

As it turns out, upon inspecting the wash basin located on the opposite side of the wall in question, I discovered an ABS vent pipe riser through the wall and exiting the roof. My supposition was/is that a leaking roof jack is to blame and rain water is most likely riding down the ABS pipe and depositing itself in this location.

Some feedback on my logic here is much appreciated.

JT

Re:Moisture detection in drywall/sheetrock Derby 8/13/2007
JTIR wrote:
y, I observed what appeared to be a water stain at the joint between the ceiling and a wall separating the bedroom from a bathroom.

Upon shooting the spot with the BCAM, I was suprised to see the suspect areas surface warmer than the surrounding area. Normally, my shots have shown cooler areas.

Is the reason for this that moisture is condensing in this area, thus giving off higher temperatures at the surface, as opposed to evaporating moisture conditions?

What variables do I need to consider? I am relatively new to IR, and have only done the basic course so I am using the BCAM solely at this time as a tool to help me better understand and troubleshoot these conditions.

As it turns out, upon inspecting the wash basin located on the opposite side of the wall in question, I discovered an ABS vent pipe riser through the wall and exiting the roof. My supposition was/is that a leaking roof jack is to blame and rain water is most likely riding down the ABS pipe and depositing itself in this location.

Some feedback on my logic here is much appreciated.

JT
As a builder, inspector, and thermographer, my first inclination would be to crawl up in the attic and look for water stains. Secondly, I'd put my moisture meter on the stain. Third, if I owned the building in question, since you have to repair it anyway, destructive testing is next for me. Water will take the path of least resistance, or the greatest expense. Why not post an image before step 3?

Re:Moisture detection in drywall/sheetrock dandersen 8/18/2007
We need significantly more information about the condition in which you took the scan. Also uploading the scan would help a lot. Wherever you are, it's probably hot (it's been over 107° here all week)!

Depending on the time that you took the scan, the building is either heating up or cooling down. This will cause a wet spot to look warmer or colder than the wall.

We have only received .03 inches of rainfall this past 30 days and if you were from here, there is no moisture in any ceiling unless it's a plumbing leak.

If we are looking at a hot day, with air-conditioner on, a hotspot in the ceiling where there is a moisture stain may indicate inadequate insulation or air infiltration (again we need a photograph). Consider this, if you have hot air coming into the ceiling during the summer you're going to have hot air leaving the ceiling in the winter. Lack of insulation may cause condensation (especially in the high humidity area of a bathroom). Moisture staining can be the result of condensation during winter months.

Again, a whole lot more information is required.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012