Message Board Thread - "Locating Burried Conduits with IR??"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Locating Burried Conduits with IR?? 73cj5 9/20/2007
I am intertested in your opinions on the following task:

We are trying to locate the number of bends in a 5" piece of PVC conduit burried underground. There is 2.5 to 3 feet of modified dirt/gravel and 6/8 inches of blacktop on top of the conduit. We are located in PA and the temps are in the 50's Am and in the 70-80's in the afternoon. Possibly some parts are embedded in concrete. The conduit run is 1000 feet long. It is currently empty.

We were considering using a torpedo heater to warm the pipe, but I do not believe this will give us an accurate measurement. I was thinking more of a camera type inspection that is being used by the plumbing industry on the inside of the conduit.

Any information or help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Aaron Szura
Level II Thermographer

Re:Locating Burried Conduits with IR?? Intertec 9/20/2007
If it buried that deep your best bet would be GPR (ground penetrating radar). Here is a link to what GPR can do in this application.
http://www.sensoft.ca/applications/forensics/casestudy/cs_burcaches.html

Best of luck

Re:Locating Burried Conduits with IR?? fredt 10/3/2007
Go to americanleakdetection.com for the closest office to you. They should be able to help if you have access at both ends or intermediate access points. The camera is good, but only has up to 200ft of cable. However, they can often push a sonde through the conduit with a push rod. The simplest would maybe be to have an electrician pull a piece of wire through and use locating equipment to track.

Re:Locating Burried Conduits with IR?? DonW 10/3/2007
Our company recently demoed an old power plant and for environmental reasons we had to locate the sewer line that connected the plant plumbing to the old septic tank. The plant had not been in operation for several years so everything was very dry, as most things are in West Texas. We tried using our underground wire/cable/conduct detector and locating equipment to locate the old clay-pipe but that didn’t work. We even removed the commode and tried to run an electronic transmitter down the large 4-inch drain but the in-ground P-trap prevented the device from making the quick turns. Then we tried pouring several gallons of ice water down the drain in hopes that the temperature difference would show up as an infrared image but that didn’t work either. Believe-it-or-not, we located the buried clay-pipe and the septic tank by using dividing-rods

Re:Locating Burried Conduits with IR?? big B 10/3/2007
We use a trenchless locator to follow buried empty conduits. If the conduit is empty,and the ends are open we push a sonde (transmitter) through the conduit slowly and follow it with the receiver. Then put spots of paint down as you go to mark the path, because of the distance you may have to go from both ends. The sonde is about one inch in diamater.

Good luck
Bert

Re:Locating Burried Conduits with IR?? pge 10/19/2007
73cj5 wrote:
tertested in your opinions on the following task:

We are trying to locate the number of bends in a 5" piece of PVC conduit burried underground. There is 2.5 to 3 feet of modified dirt/gravel and 6/8 inches of blacktop on top of the conduit. We are located in PA and the temps are in the 50's Am and in the 70-80's in the afternoon. Possibly some parts are embedded in concrete. The conduit run is 1000 feet long. It is currently empty.

We were considering using a torpedo heater to warm the pipe, but I do not believe this will give us an accurate measurement. I was thinking more of a camera type inspection that is being used by the plumbing industry on the inside of the conduit.

Any information or help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Aaron Szura
Level II Thermographer
Hello. I don't think IR will work but I know something that will. We use a sounding tool here at PGE. It is made by Aquatronics in Idaho. You attach it to a rodder and it emits a radio signal and you can track it with a receiver. It is about 1 inch in diameter. Warning. it won't work in steel pipe.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012