Message Board Thread - "Dryer Drum Inspection"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Dryer Drum Inspection Docsworld 9/26/2007
Has anyone had any success at inspecting dryer drums for paper machines to see if there is water build up in the drums. On the run or while down. If so I would like to know your method. I do not trust what I see at my mill.

Re:Dryer Drum Inspection Bob Berry 9/26/2007
You are right not to trust what you see. They are very low emissivity surfaces. You can tell a lot by looking at the product directly, or stop the machine and temporarily cover it with a light cotton sheet, or dry paper, and image this.

Re:Dryer Drum Inspection rbushee 9/26/2007
on a dryer drum most of the condensation will hold near the drain system. the only way to know for sure is to get temp. differences along the length of the drum from the bottom. you need to take several images along the drum shell and compare measurements.if there is condensation you will see a good temp. difference.also compare to another drum. you can also look at the drain piping and check temp. on the discharge and compare to another drain system. the emissivity will be as low as you thing because of build-up on the drums.

Re:Dryer Drum Inspection Docsworld 9/27/2007
Bob Berry wrote:
right not to trust what you see. They are very low emissivity surfaces. You can tell a lot by looking at the product directly, or stop the machine and temporarily cover it with a light cotton sheet, or dry paper, and image this.
Thansk for the feedback. DRJ

Re:Dryer Drum Inspection Docsworld 9/27/2007
rbushee wrote:
yer drum most of the condensation will hold near the drain system. the only way to know for sure is to get temp. differences along the length of the drum from the bottom. you need to take several images along the drum shell and compare measurements.if there is condensation you will see a good temp. difference.also compare to another drum. you can also look at the drain piping and check temp. on the discharge and compare to another drain system. the emissivity will be as low as you thing because of build-up on the drums.
Thanks for the info rbushee DRJ

Re:Dryer Drum Inspection Halp 10/4/2007
We have 100% accuracy with dryers filled with water using this procedure. We view the side of the dryer can 3 hours or greater after stopping the dryer. The ones with syphon issues (excessive water) Show up as warmer than their neighbors by several degrees. Every dryer we have investigated using this procedure has been flooded. +10 dryers this past year.

Re:Dryer Drum Inspection zamir 10/4/2007
We used IR to check for condensate loading for years. We would shoot the head of the dryer 4-6 hours after the steam was pulled. The condensate remains hot while the dryer cools, and a clear level can be seen in the thermal image. The heads don't have the emissivity issues the shell has (not polished).

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012