Message Board Thread - "Furnace tube inspection"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Furnace tube inspection DCP 10/4/2007
I have a LW P65. I know it is not suitable for heater tube inspection. Some of my refinery customers want me to see the tubes with P65, as experiment.If I do this will it damage my camera/detector.

Re:Furnace tube inspection Bob Berry 10/5/2007
I would not expect to be able to see through the flames with a P65, you will only see the flames. As regards damaging camera, there is no more risk of damage than looking at another high temperature target. Obvoiusly, you dont want to expose it to very high ambient temperatures for too long.

Re:Furnace tube inspection Edd Hindmarsh 10/5/2007
I looked at some furnace tubes in a refinery and was quite surprised: what looked like solid flames with the naked eye, completely changed when using my P65. There were a lot less flames than I had expected, and we were able to view some problems on the tubes, and detect very uneven temperatures.

Re:Furnace tube inspection GRP 10/8/2007
I'd just like to call your attention to a new book: Radiation Thermometry: Fundamentals and Applications in the Petrochemical Industry (SPIE Press Book) by Peter Saunders.

This book was just released on 3 August 2007 It is available from the SPIE Press, ISBN: 9780819467836, price for SPIE Members: $39.00(USD), and Non-member: $47.00 (USD).

In my view, it is about the finest exposition I have ever read of the measurement problems associated with measurements in these furnaces; detailed, solid physics from an expert who has sweated (literally - if you've been near one of the big pyrolysis furnaces) all the details.

The price makes it practically a steal!

See my write up at: http://irweb.info/archives/23" target="_blank">http://irweb.info/archives/23">http://irweb.info/archives/23

Re:Furnace tube inspection TDLIR 10/9/2007
Furnace tube inspection is heavily based on Wavelength (among many other things). Depending on the type of fuel being burnt and atmosphere inside the furnace will determine what wavelength imager to use with what type of filters.

Typically, natural gas fired furnaces would require is SW imager with a 3.9 micron filter.

DCP, I would say if your imager has the high temperature calibration, then it would not adversely affect your detector if you try to inspect your furnace tubes. If you do not have the high temp calibration, then it ultimately does not make any sense peeking inside a furnace as the entire image would be saturated and you won't be able to see anything. Whether or not your LW P65 would produce any meaningful results only your particular furnace can only be determined by testing it out as you are proposing. But if you do get anything I would still recommend that you compare your findings of your test with some sort of reference that you know to be true.

I will be presenting a paper on Reformer Inspection which would cover Reformer Tube inspections at IRINFO 2008 in Orlando FL. For those interested in such an application you might find it interesting.

Best Regards,
Sonny James

Re:Furnace tube inspection PKirk 11/8/2007
It is possible to extend the temperature sensitivity of a long wave length imager so it can detect temperature variations of surfaces above hotter the than the measurement range of the imager. I have done this for rotary kilns.
pkirk@fwkirkco.com.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012