Message Board Thread - "I'm still new at this, but what is this?"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
I'm still new at this, but what is this? HITECHSOLUTIONS 12/12/2007
I just took some quick shots of my house. It's about 20 degrees f outside probably 65-70 inside. Is this picture telling me at the top of my window I have air exfiltration. Also is the other pic telling me I might not have an air barrier or moisture barrier behind the vinyl siding?

Re:I'm still new at this, but what is this? HITECHSOLUTIONS 12/12/2007
sorry forgot to add pics

another one

last one

Re:I'm still new at this, but what is this? Gary Orlove 12/13/2007
You don't provide enough information about your images to make any conclusions: e.g.; when and where they were taken, what elevation, what floor, time of day, weather conditions, wind direction and speed, and building construction.

I would suggest you consider attending a training course on thermography so you can begin to understand the thermal patterns suggested in your thermograms due to changes in reflected apparent temperatures, cavity effects, emissivity effects, stack effect, etc.

A good place to begin (and its free for a limited time) is to enroll for the BCAM Basics online web course that can be found at
http://www.infraredtraining.com/courses/bcam_basics.asp .

While the operation part of the course concentrates on the BCAM camera, the rest of the course introduced you to IR science, heat transfer, and features an introduction to building diagonostics with IR.

Gary Orlove
Infrared Training Center

Re:I'm still new at this, but what is this? cnlmustard 1/4/2008
First one looks like conditioned air entering behind the electrical panel because electricians bore big holes for wires.

Second one is probably a reflection off of the shiny exterior paint.

Third one is a large gap from inside to out feeding conditioned air into your ice cream marqee'!

Why do you have a commercial sign above the door of your home?

Re:I'm still new at this, but what is this? IEA 1/6/2008
Photo:
1. heat loss due to inadequate or missing insulation / conduction
2. same
3. heat loss due to warm air exfiltration and inadequate or missing insulation / conduction & convection

Re:I'm still new at this, but what is this? G-MAN 1/6/2008
HITECHSOLUTIONS wrote:
e
It seems that you pointed the camera straight at the windows and will cause incorrect readings. More information is indeed required.

Re:I'm still new at this, but what is this? HITECHSOLUTIONS 1/6/2008
Thanks guys, i thought the same thing. I just wanted to make sure. That what I was finding was indeed true. Thank you all very much

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012