Message Board Thread - "Infrared Proof window pics**** Help me analyze"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Infrared Proof window pics**** Help me analyze HITECHSOLUTIONS 12/15/2007
OK GUYS HERE GOES...A CUSTOMER THAT IS A SALESMAN FOR A TYPE OF WINDOW THAT CAN WITHSTAND 175 M.P.H. HURRICANE FORCE WINDS, BE HIT MULTIPLE TIMES WITH A BASEBALL BAT, AND ALSO HAS SOME SORT OF INFRARED MATERIAL ACTUALLY IMPREGNATED INTO THE GLASS WHEN THE GLASS IS BEING MANUFACTURED. HE WANTED ME TO TAKE PICS, AND SHOW HIS CUSTOMER THE HEAT REFLECTING OFF OF HIS WINDOW AND BACK TO IT'S SOURCE. SO I SAID I DON'T THINK I CAN BUT WHAT THE HELL, I'LL TRY I WON'T KNOW UNTIL I DO IT. SO I GET TO HIS HOUSE, THE WINDOW IS HEATING UP IN FRONT OF HIS STOVB CAUSE IT WAS OUTSIDE AND FREEZING COLD. SO I TOOK PICS OF HIM NEXT TO A REGULAR WINDOW. I SHOWED HIM THE REFLECTION OF ME AND HIM IN THE WINDOW. SO I SAID I THINK THIS IS WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN ALSO WITH THE INFRARED WINDOW. SO WE DID THE SAME WITH THAT ONE. TO MY SURPRISE I SEEN OR THOUGHT AT FIRST I SEEN HIS HEAT BEING ABSORBED AND REFLECTED BACK TO HIM. YEAAA, ALRIGHT I DID IT. BUT THEN I WAS DRIVING HOME, AND WAS THINKING ABOUT HIS STOVE. REMEMBERING THAT RIGHT BEFORE I TOOK THE PICS I LOOKED AT THE WINDOW, AND IT HAD A HOT SPOT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GLASS. SO I CAME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT IS WASN'T HIM, IT WAS THE HEAT OF THE STOVE THAT CAUSED THE PATTERN. THEN I LOOKED INTO IT MORE AND IT DOES SEEM TO HAVE SOME HEAT AROUND WHERE THE HOT SPOT IS. MY QUESTION IS DO YOU THINK THAT IS THE HEAT OFF OF HIM? OFF OF THE ROOM? I HAVE THE EMISSIVITY TO .80/REFLECTED 67 DEG F/ATM 73 F ALSO TAKE A LOOK AT THE WINDOW WITH NO INFRARED IN IT, THAT HE'S STANDING NEXT TO. I DON'T KNOW. TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK. THANK YOU

Re:Infrared Proof window pics**** Help me analyze HITECHSOLUTIONS 12/15/2007
THIS IS THE ONE OF HIM IN FRONT OF A REGULAR WINDOW.

Re:Infrared Proof window pics**** Help me analyze Doctir bob 12/17/2007
Glass has an emissivity around 0.88 to 0.91 for long wave (8-12 micrometers) cameras depending on detector response and optics. But glass is so smooth, even a 10% to 12% reflection can show very detailed reflected images.

Is the person holding the piece of glass inside the room so both sides are warm? If so, that would not be a good comparison to temperatures on an installed window when its cold outside.

The key is to compare surface temperatures on installed products with the same reflected background, inside and outside temperatures and other environmental conditions.

Re:Infrared Proof window pics**** Help me analyze HITECHSOLUTIONS 12/17/2007
Yes he is holding it up, it was a broken one that he had. But when this glass breaks it's like a windshield, it just spiders. When it is installed it actually doesn't take place of the existing window. It actually installs almost on the trim. So to understand, to actually open the window to get outside. You have to open this infrared window, then the existing window, and screen. He doesn't have any of these windows installed yet. But when he does, that's when I'm supposed to go take pics. To show his customers.

Re:Infrared Proof window pics**** Help me analyze riobrown26 2/18/2008
i am interested in these windows. Are they lexan windows? I have a friend that is in the hurricane shutter business in florida.thanks please call J at 614.205.0900 to discuss further...

Re:Infrared Proof window pics**** Help me analyze HITECHSOLUTIONS 2/24/2008
Please email me and I will give you his email address.
JoshuaPage@infraredhitech.com

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012