Message Board Thread - "Reporter 20000 and Microsoft Vista"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Reporter 20000 and Microsoft Vista Edd Hindmarsh 1/4/2008
I am sure that I read somewhere that Reporter 2000 would not operate correctly with the new Microsoft Vista system, but I cannot remember where I read it. Does anyone know if it is true because most of the computers sold in Zambia appear to be loaded with this system.

Re:Reporter 20000 and Microsoft Vista Hans H 1/4/2008
Hi Edd,
Reporter 2000 is already 7-8 years old, and has not been updated for Vista. For compatibility with Vista, you have to go for Reporter 8.2 (Word plug-in).
Regards, Hans Hallin, ITC International.

Re:Reporter 20000 and Microsoft Vista manuel-thermoimagen 4/21/2009
Would like to ask:

reporter 2000 Professional, can works with jpg radiometric images or need some patch or update??..

i use images from Thermacam EX-300 unit.

mine doesnt read images and give me the following message, just says:
"Unknow IR image format"

please let me know.

Re:Reporter 20000 and Microsoft Vista Top Gun 4/25/2009
manuel-thermoimagen wrote:
ike to ask:

reporter 2000 Professional, can works with jpg radiometric images or need some patch or update??..

i use images from Thermacam EX-300 unit.

mine doesnt read images and give me the following message, just says:
"Unknow IR image format"

please let me know.
manuel-thermoimagen, try getting a version called Reporter 2000 Professional Dec 2002 Edition. I have used it to process images from T400 and P640 radiometric JPG images and it works fine in the Windows XP operating system. This version does not play back image audio annotation from these later camera models though. Your version of the program probably predates the change in image format to radiometric jpg by FLIR. Since FLIR didn't have a solid Word-based Reporter software at the time, they updated the reliable Reporter 2000 to be able to analyze the new image format.

I use both Reporter 2000 and 8.3, and use them in the Windows XP OS. When FLIR went to the Word-based system, they opened a new CAN OF WORMS by adapting to the very structured page configurations imposed by complicated Word program rules. I like the ability to put tables, text boxes and images wherever I like in the Reporter 2000 software, and simply cannot do it in that same manner in the Reporter 8.3. I tried to run Reporter 8.3 in the Vista OS in early 2008 but it was very slow, and sometimes wouldn't run. So, I relied on Windows XP OS to run Reporter 8.3. It is interesting that the Word spell checker works in text areas yet it does not work in the infrared labeling tools in the the Reporter 8.3 image analysis tools.
I hope this helps.

Re:Reporter 20000 and Microsoft Vista manuel-thermoimagen 4/26/2009
Top Gun..
can you email me at: roberto.cruz@thermoimagen.com

Re:Reporter 20000 and Microsoft Vista TDLIR 4/26/2009
I have reporter 2000 and I sometimes get this unknown image format with P45/65 and P620 JPEG images. But when I close the program and restart it usually works fine. It may be a small bug. BTW I have the 2002 edition.

I never tried the audio with the newer cameras to see if it works with 2000 (as mentioned by top gun). I know my P45 audio works fine. I will have to try and see with a P620 that I have access to.

I also have the word based reporters from 7.0 to 8.3. I do not like it!!! I prefer to have a stand alone program for my IR reports. As top gun mentioned alos, I fine I have better freedom wiht reporter 2000. The word based reporter is too slow, take too much memory and make you spend too much money on Microsoft software. That can run hundreds if not thousands of dollars more. I remember when I tried to install reporter 8.3 on my pc running office XP (Word 2002). Ha FORGET IT! it won't load. you have to upgrade to the new word. More $$ to microsfot and in the meantime no IR software to complete your reports. Well I finally got the new Office package and not only did I have to learn the new reporter program, I now had to learn how to use the new office package which is totally alien to the older office. Oh also, I had to spend hours downloaded the new microsoft updates and patches before the reporter can install.

I feel if I spend thousands of $$ on an IR program that I should not have to spend even more $$ to get it working. Why give bill gates more money to help make our lives even more hell. In my opinion FLIR should of made reporter to work with office and also free office for those who do not want to spend more $$ than needed.

Even better FLIR should of kept reporter as a stand alon program.

I still use Reporter 2000 for all my reports. Mainly because it works great, fast and aslo I have over a dozen templates that i spent dozens of hours creating for different inspection jobs. I do not have the time or money to waste on recreating these complicated templates in word.

These are just my views based on my applications. I feel FLIR should make a patch to reporter 2000 so that it can read all the new FLIR camera images and audio. This will keep hundreds of their clients happy and make them want to purchase their new cameras even more. It does not matter that reporter 2000 may not wrok with vista, you can always run a multiboot system with Win 2000 or XP or even 98.

Re:Reporter 20000 and Microsoft Vista manuel-thermoimagen 4/27/2009
totally agree TDLIR..

i was happy with my old IRWIN 5.3 running under windows 98, running faster even on a old 400mhz cpu computer!!. then i update to Reporter 2000 Pro on same machine and still runs great!!.. but, later on, changed my camera to newer model and everything on reporting changes.. needed new computer, new OS (xp or vista) new office software 2003 or later, More RAM, new patches due XP or Vista issues, Load new features like FRAMES and some weird stuff, more Drivers, base line lot of stuff around new FLir software in order to run it a SLOWER reporter, results: big size reports, more consuming time, and totally dependant on Bill Gates.

would like to run not Microsoft Office based reporter software.

Maybe Flir will need to make some survey at Inframation about what users thinks about ultimates reporters softwares.

or just you and me are the only worry users?.

check this out some troubleshouting not friendly instructions:
http://flir.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/218

Re:Reporter 2000 and Microsoft Vista manuel-thermoimagen 4/27/2009
"..try getting a version called Reporter 2000 Professional Dec 2002 Edition.."

mine is:
THERMACAM REPORTER 2000 PROFESSIONAL
COPYRIGHT 1996-2000 FLIR SUSTEMS AB

Where i can download Dec 2002 version to try? ..

roberto.cruz@thermoimagen.com

Re:Reporter 20000 and Microsoft Vista Top Gun 4/27/2009
I agree with you fellow thermographers on the complications involved here. I believe that FLIR makes these changes and advances for everyone's benefit. At present, they, like us, are experiencing the woes of the economic recession, and aren't willing to throw a bunch of money at this situation for now. I think they should eventually do something toward upgrading or creating a report program that is along the structure of the Reporter 2000 format rather than rooting it into MS Word. I think one of the reasons why they chose to imbed the reporting software into Word is the spell-check function that Reporter 2000 lacks. Yet, in creating reports, you can always copy-paste your text into a word processor to check spelling, and transfer the corrections back into the report. The Agema folks really had a great thing going with their Irwin 5.3 that was the basis of the Reporter 2000 software.
Sigh, it is what it is. ...

Re:Reporter 20000 and Microsoft Vista Dominic A 6/5/2009
Flir is laughing at us and don't want to help. That's what I think.
I found how to use Reporter 7 on Word 2003 on Vista and everything is working find.
Flir told us that it is not working but it's not true.

I still think that this software (Reporter 7.0) is a way to expensive for that it is doing.

My 2 cents

Re:Reporter 20000 and Microsoft Vista Nicole 10/16/2009
Dominic A wrote:
laughing at us and don't want to help. That's what I think.
I found how to use Reporter 7 on Word 2003 on Vista and everything is working find.
Flir told us that it is not working but it's not true.

I still think that this software (Reporter 7.0) is a way to expensive for that it is doing.

My 2 cents
Dominic A said : "I found how to use Reporter 7 on Word 2003 on Vista and everything is working find.
Flir told us that it is not working but it's not true."
I'm very interested in knowing how I could do that too. Thanks.

Re:Reporter 20000 and Microsoft Vista TDLIR 10/16/2009
Do you think that Reporter 2000 will work with Windows 7 and the XP Mode? I am hoping that it will. If anyone has tried it out please let us know. I think there is still a large die hard Reporter 2000 group out there who like me stocked up on xp computers to avoid buying a new vista pc.

Re:Reporter 20000 and Microsoft Vista Dominic A 11/16/2009
In the setting of Windows (control panel), you can tell to Windows to operate this program in Windows "older" version"

If you do not find it I will search it for you but I'm little busy right now. Let me know if you need help.
You're welcome
Dom

Re:Reporter 20000 and Microsoft Vista Nicole 12/5/2009
Dominic A wrote:
setting of Windows (control panel), you can tell to Windows to operate this program in Windows "older" version"

If you do not find it I will search it for you but I'm little busy right now. Let me know if you need help.
You're welcome
Dom
Reporter 7 is just a "add-on" to Ms-Word (a "Thermacam tool bar" added to Word). when you say "to operate this program in Windows older version", do you think about telling Windows to operate WORD in Windows older version ? And you'll see the Thermacam tool bar in Word ?

Re:Reporter 20000 and Microsoft Vista Nicole 12/18/2009
Dominic A wrote:
setting of Windows (control panel), you can tell to Windows to operate this program in Windows "older" version"

You're welcome
Dom
OH ! I finally understood ! It's at the install that you have to run the setup.exe file in Windows "older" version. And YES, it works just fine ! I'm very glad to know that ! THANKS SO MUCH !

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012