Message Board Thread - "Oddjobman"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Oddjobman Oddjobman 1/21/2008
I am in the process of investigating getting into IR. The more I read on the message boards the more questions I have. My first interest in getting into the IR is for commercial roofing. I have a cmmercial roofing company that is getting more & more into roof insepctions / preventive maintenance programs and consulting. We thought the investment in this technology would be a good fit but I am concerned about a ROI on the dollars invensted in training & equipment. It looks like the cost will be about $25k to get the euipment & training in level I & IR Roofing........The comments I keep reading are not to promising but they mainly focus on other areas rather than roofing........feed back would be appreciated

Re:Oddjobman Gary Orlove 1/31/2008
When I did IR Roofing surveys back in the 1970's, it was by far the most lucrative survey for the time spent of any type of survey. And that was when IR equipment cost $25,000 (in 1978 dollars)!

With today's low cost IR cameras, its a no brainer. Usually the biggest hurdle to creating a roofing thermographers is teaching them about roof construction and failure mechanisms, but you know that already.

Take the free BCAM Basics IR Web course to get a taste of IR and roofing applications. Here is the link:

http://www.infraredtraining.com/courses/bcam_basics.asp

Gary Orlove
Infrared Training Center

Re:Oddjobman ed@RBinfrared 5/22/2008
You certainly could train yourself, take courses or pay to get someone in your company to take the training courses.
You then need a camera and yes you could spend 25k..or 15 or even 10k for a new camera.
BUT
If you are doing work on almost anything other larger commercial, institutional buildings there is not much point. The physics of the roofing materials are critical for getting results you can use. Shingles, tpo or other membranes have little adsorptive materials under them (or they hide the thermal anomalies under themselves) to hold enough heat to give you a thermal indicaton of retained water.
Many commercial buildings are further roofed with materials that do not lend themselves to the technology.A heavily ballasted epdm system is one example.
Someone once said in this forum "A roof is a roof".
Not so. The physics of the components of the roof rule.
I would suggest that you outsource to an experienced Thermographer ( and upcharge the customer) until you get a good feel for the market in your area and your potential business volume.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012