Message Board Thread - "Hot Spot at Screw, Induction possible?.."

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Hot Spot at Screw, Induction possible?.. thermoimagen 3/14/2004
Hi guys.
I need your advice and comments on this image.

What you are looking is the conection to main distribution panel. the wires coming from 1000kva transformer 480 at 68% load.

When i scan the conection to the panel i found this hot spot at screw.

Any ideas?..

regards.

Re:Hot Spot at Screw, Induction possible?.. walterdaniel 3/15/2004
Did you check the paint around the screw? may be it's dirty or there is some dust.

Walter Daniel

Re:Hot Spot at Screw, Induction possible?.. IRJay 3/15/2004
I would be less inclined toward induction ... at least from the picture on this side of the switch. I will agree that there is heating. I would need to investigate the breaker side for knowledge of components mounted there. Also I would want to review the proper grounding of this cabinet. There is not enough information for a positive answer though.

Re:Hot Spot at Screw, Induction possible?.. walterdaniel 3/15/2004
Jay is right, sometimes when the groung conection is poor the "return current" goes through screws, to "earth". I saw that before, but generaly at higher temperature than that.

Daniel

Re:Hot Spot at Screw, Induction possible?.. danny_b 3/17/2004
touch it and see if it shocks you

Re:Hot Spot at Screw, Induction possible?.. Hari 4/8/2004
What is behind the panel. Bus Bars?
I do not think that induction causes that hot spots. Propably the screw is tightened with pressure and the screww is hot. Is it possible to remove the screw and put it again during a shut down time. This will give us an answer.

Re:Hot Spot at Screw, Induction possible?.. gunay 4/14/2004
I saw same view in our tranformator covers. This is normal. If you dont want to see it you can change the screws whith antimagnetic metal. If you want I can send you some views.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012