Message Board Thread - "Personal Protective Equipment"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Personal Protective Equipment ShyFlyGuy 2/6/2008
Hi there,

I wold like to know if anyone ha any info regarding the types and ratings of the PPE required whilst performing infrared inspections on live electrical panels. These include voltage ranges from 110v to 33Kv.

Re:Personal Protective Equipment IRJay 2/6/2008
Read NFPA 70E. Attend NFPA PPE classes around the country. This information is all common knowledge to the experienced electrician. Find some training and learn about the hazards. Even with the training, you may not be considered a qualified person to remove covers or even be in the area of these voltage levels.

Re:Personal Protective Equipment ShyFlyGuy 2/7/2008
Thanks IRJay,

Unfortunately/fortunately I live in Africa. And I am a certified and practicing high voltage electrician. So your NFPA regs wold only be a reference guide, which I appreciate, thanks.
All I am trying to do is find decent comparisons as to what others in the field are using.

Re:Personal Protective Equipment jvoitl 2/7/2008
Try this

http://www.duralabel.com/ppc/free-arc-flash-book-g.php?adtype=28&adgroup=Arc-Code&gclid=CM-yurvHspECFQ2nGgodQkFreQ

Re:Personal Protective Equipment gallies 2/13/2008
ShyFlyGuy wrote:
e,

I wold like to know if anyone ha any info regarding the types and ratings of the PPE required whilst performing infrared inspections on live electrical panels. These include voltage ranges from 110v to 33Kv.
My company is evaluating the effects of the new PPE requiremnts in NFPA 70E.

There is a formula that is in the lierature to help determine available fault current.

It is this available fault current that drives the PPE. There is talk that we might have to go to 50 calorie suits in certain areas. Right now I just wear normal FR clothes and occasionally a nomex hood.

For us a rule of thumb was any voltage over 480 AC could have the potential to drive us to the more stringent FR gard.

I have seen the electricians at Pratt and Whitney switch there outdoor switchgear in 50 cal suits in summer weather. It doesn't look comfortable.

Re:Personal Protective Equipment ShyFlyGuy 2/20/2008
Thanks Gallies,

50 Cal? Wow, that is high.

Only problem is that when you are caught in an arc blast where the energy levels go above 40 cal you are in danger of sustaining internal injuries. No matter how much protection you have.

Thanks again to all who replied!

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012