Message Board Thread - "Explanation of terms?"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Explanation of terms? innie 2/11/2008
I am currently doing a project looking at the temperature patterns of the equine back before and after a chiropractic adjustment as part of my dissertation, using a ThermoCam E320.

I am very new to this and was wondering if anyone could explain abit about the different setting on the camera? What they mean, how it is measured and how or if I need to change the settings before imaging.

If I have understood it right, emissivity in horses is about 0.98? This is also the set emissivity value on the camera. Reflected Apparent Temperature is set to 20 degrees, as is Relative Humidity, while Atmospheric Temperature is set to 30 degrees. What do these terms mean, will I need to change these settings before the pictures are taken? And in that case how is this done?

Much appreciate any answers!

Innie

Re:Explanation of terms? IRJay 2/11/2008
You really should attend a class.

Re:Explanation of terms? Raphael ITC Eurasia 2/11/2008
innie wrote:
rrently doing a project looking at the temperature patterns of the equine back before and after a chiropractic adjustment as part of my dissertation, using a ThermoCam E320.

I am very new to this and was wondering if anyone could explain abit about the different setting on the camera? What they mean, how it is measured and how or if I need to change the settings before imaging.

If I have understood it right, emissivity in horses is about 0.98? This is also the set emissivity value on the camera. Reflected Apparent Temperature is set to 20 degrees, as is Relative Humidity, while Atmospheric Temperature is set to 30 degrees. What do these terms mean, will I need to change these settings before the pictures are taken? And in that case how is this done?

Much appreciate any answers!

Innie
Parameters such as emissivity, Reflected Apparent Temperature (RAT), Relative humidity are manually entered by an operator.
They are used to calculate temperature, from the physical quantity the camera measures.
Emissivity and RAT determination methods are defined in ISO 18434-1 and ASTM E1933-99a.
Relative humidity, distance and atmospheric temperature are used to compensate for atmosphere attenuation in case of rather long distances thermal scenes (approximately over 8 m/25 ft with an E320).
For equine thermography, as for medical thermography, setting the emissivity to 0.98 is acceptable.

The parameters you mentioned are not the only ones that are influential. Therefore I strongly suggest you take a training course to get the best from your equipment.

Best regards.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012