Message Board Thread - "Thermal pattern help"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Thermal pattern help WCT 3/8/2008
This may not be odd, as I am relatively new to IR. This is a shot of a sidewalk adjacent to a SSE facing wall (on the right in this image). The sidewalk level is just below the top of the concrete foundation, and the adjacent basement room is a large entertainment area. Exterior temp is about 4.5C, image taken at 7:46PM after a full day of sun and clear skies at the time of the image. Sun sets on this sidewalk by 5:30 at the latest and there was no to very light wind (<1m/s).

The basement living room does have a propane fireplace but the homeowner does not think it was on when this image was taken and not before either (they were out at the time and had been out for a couple of hours). There are no baseboard heaters on a thermostat on the interior wall either. There are no laundry warm air vents or other such potential sources of high heat. The wall itself is stucco and extends down close to the level of the sidewalk.

Can solar loading of the concrete sidewalk last this long on a clear, cool night? There are a few trees to block the late day sun but no leaves at this time.

Any help is appreciated.

Re:Thermal pattern help manuel-thermoimagen 3/9/2008
is there any garden at the left side of sidewalk? look for any source of moisture, check again after 3 hours of solar loading to discover if temperature of sidewalk are reversed like this one.

just an idea.

my two cents.

Re:Thermal pattern help WCT 3/9/2008
manuel-thermoimagen wrote:
e any garden at the left side of sidewalk? look for any source of moisture, check again after 3 hours of solar loading to discover if temperature of sidewalk are reversed like this one.

just an idea.

my two cents.
Manuel,

The box shape on the left is a planter and the rest is grass. I should have mentioned it did rain (lightly) about 30 hours before this image was taken.

Thanks for the help.

Re:Thermal pattern help Intertec 3/10/2008
One question to ask how thick is the concrete?How hot did it get that day? Those all questions that need to be answered for a final answer. Concrete due to the density of the material does hold heat, very well so it could just be solar laoding.

Re:Thermal pattern help WCT 3/10/2008
Intertec wrote:
stion to ask how thick is the concrete?How hot did it get that day? Those all questions that need to be answered for a final answer. Concrete due to the density of the material does hold heat, very well so it could just be solar laoding.
I don't think it is too thick, it is only sidewalk concrete at the side of house, guessing maybe 3-6 inches?

Solar loading/heat from the basement must be the answer - there is no external heat source nearby and I don't think a drain running with hot water (dishwasher, clothes washer, etc) would heat it that evenly.

Thanks for the responses, keep them coming if you are thinking something different.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012