Message Board Thread - " Aerial IR Thermography to detect water leaks"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Aerial IR Thermography to detect water leaks merlinrun 3/31/2008
Hello,

Can anyone advise me which camera to use to detect water leaks from large water mains and reservoirs using a light aircraft and does this type of detection actualy work

Thanks
 
Re: Aerial IR Thermography to detect water leaks TIC 4/2/2008
merlinrun wrote:


Can anyone advise me which camera to use to detect water leaks from large water mains and reservoirs using a light aircraft and does this type of detection actualy work

Thanks
P640 will work just fine. However use a helicopter. It provided me with enough time to take corect images. Plus I had a ball. There is nothing better than thermal aerials. Take a look at my web site under thermal images (pictures) I believe is will be the first one of a roof top. I conducted that survey of 600,000 sq feet in 20 minutes. One hour flight.
Kim Diemer
www.thermalinspections.net
 
Re: Aerial IR Thermography to detect water leaks merlinrun 4/2/2008
TIC wrote:
P640 will work just fine. However use a helicopter. It provided me with enough time to take corect images. Plus I had a ball. There is nothing better than thermal aerials. Take a look at my web site under thermal images (pictures) I believe is will be the first one of a roof top. I conducted that survey of 600,000 sq feet in 20 minutes. One hour flight.
Kim Diemer
www.thermalinspections.net
Hello,

Thanks for the advice. I have been advised to use the camera you refer to. Which lense did you use and what height did you fly at ? I am thinking of attaching the p640 to an aircraft i own.

Any further advice appriciated

Thanks
 
Re: Aerial IR Thermography to detect water leaks Lex 4/3/2008
Hi there,

I am also looking to conduct an aerial thermal imaging survey in the UK of a a number of buildings.

I have a Flir P640 camera but have concerns as to the stability of image taken through an open window. Will images taken in this way be stable enough or do I need to have a gyroscopically stabilised unit. I plan on hooking the camera directly to a laptop to record the footage.

Thanks.
 
Re: Aerial IR Thermography to detect water leaks merlinrun 4/3/2008
Lex wrote:
e,

I am also looking to conduct an aerial thermal imaging survey in the UK of a a number of buildings.

I have a Flir P640 camera but have concerns as to the stability of image taken through an open window. Will images taken in this way be stable enough or do I need to have a gyroscopically stabilised unit. I plan on hooking the camera directly to a laptop to record the footage.

Thanks.
Hello,

I have an aircraft and commercial licence. I'm looking into these type of issues now, from feedback to date the gyro unit is preferable but costs the earth. I'm not sure what the quality will be like holding it out of a window? Maybe someone will help.. We could carry out a trial?

Regards
 


  • Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

     

  •   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012