Message Board Thread - "window in a exterior brick wall"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
window in a exterior brick wall Ben10 5/6/2008
I,
This is a picture of a window in an ext. brick wall. What do you think, can cause the ma├žonnerie to be colder aroud the windows.
emissivity .8
ext. temp. +6 c
ref. temp. -16 c
rel. hum. 88%

Have a nice day.

Re:window in a exterior brick wall Derby 5/8/2008
Need more information. What are you referring to as being colder? The bricks (masonary) seem to be warmer in your pic not colder. Is the window in direct sunlight?

Re:window in a exterior brick wall Ben10 5/8/2008
What do you think can make the brikcs (in yellow) to be colder arond the windows. This picture was taken at night.

Re:window in a exterior brick wall Derby 5/8/2008
There should be a steel lintel or header above the window and behind the bricks. I would guess that is what you are seeing.

Re:window in a exterior brick wall JKEngineer 5/9/2008
Are these new windows in an old building?

I might turn your question around: Why are the main walls so warm? Interior T is probably around 20C and the main walls are nearly that. (How sure are you of the emissivity and background Ts?)

If this is an old, uninsulated building with new, non-metal frame windows, then you are seeing more heat loss through the main wall than through the framing. That's very much a guess. It comes down to the first response, above, we need to know more.

Jack

Re:window in a exterior brick wall DMH 5/9/2008
Could you post visible light/digital images of the above thermal images for comparison?

Re:window in a exterior brick wall glassman 5/9/2008
This is pretty good example of how buildings can catch the unwary. The four questions I would need to know are
1.Type of framing and glass.
2.How old building and frames inc glass.
3. Are there any street lights around.
4. What is the building being used for and
compass elevation of view.
AS a fenestration, chartered surveyor and thermographer these are all important points that need an answer.

Re:window in a exterior brick wall J&J 5/10/2008
This picture was taken late in the day so that the sun is hitting the wall almost head on. The camera angle is low and the horizon behind the camera has no obstructions to the open sky, where I R readings will be in the sub low temps. The ultra cold readings are on the upper surfaces indicating a reflective temperature reading or "Bogus" temp.. Make a reading before the sun comes up and the world will spin in the right direction.

Re:window in a exterior brick wall IRT Surveys 5/13/2008
Ben10 wrote:
is is a picture of a window in an ext. brick wall. What do you think, can cause the ma├žonnerie to be colder aroud the windows.
emissivity .8
ext. temp. +6 c
ref. temp. -16 c
rel. hum. 88%

Have a nice day.
As per the other responses, you need more detail. I would also recommend you take the images again during the evening. During daylight hours the building will be absorbing energy, you need it to be radiating to guarantee results. This (thermal inversion) happens after sunset, say about an hour after. During daylight you are taking an image of how well each different material absorbs energy. Therefore you are not reporting anything of significance in your image. Could be timber window frames, steel, aluminium, stone work around the frames, porous brickwork etc etc. More detail and night time images would help greatly. As it stands the image doesnt tell you anything.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012