Message Board Thread - "Bald Eagle Injury work with Thermography"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Bald Eagle Injury work with Thermography IR Judy 5/14/2008
I am looking to make professional contacts for my work on and with bald eagles in Alaska. It is becoming quite obvious through my volunteer work at the local Bird rehab facility that thermography can be invaluable for assessing; diagnosising, monitoring and documenting the condition of bird in care. Overall high temperatures and designated area averages seem to also be useful in whether the birds may be fevered or hypothermic. I would like to apply my work to oil spill rehabilatation both of birds and mammals. Can anyone help me pursue these new experiemental and promising ideas? thank you - Judy

Re:Bald Eagle Injury work with Thermography IR Judy 5/14/2008
Additional images for discussion

Some comparative work with the thermal imaging camera tools

One more experiemental application

Re:Bald Eagle Injury work with Thermography amarlady 6/9/2008
Judy,

At my work, I am involved in using thermography to try and detect diseases in wildlife. Your idea of oil spill rehabilation has merit. At the Wildlife Diseasse association meeting last year, one of the presenations was on different cleaning technigues after an oil spill and thermography. What type of information do you want to share? What camera and software are you using?

Re:Bald Eagle Injury work with Thermography IR Judy 7/21/2008
amarlady wrote:

At my work, I am involved in using thermography to try and detect diseases in wildlife. Your idea of oil spill rehabilation has merit. At the Wildlife Diseasse association meeting last year, one of the presenations was on different cleaning technigues after an oil spill and thermography. What type of information do you want to share? What camera and software are you using?
Hello - I am using a FLIR P-65 and use FLIR researcher software as well as Infrasoft medical interpretive software, for more accute visual contrast. I too believe this is a very meritous application for the technology and see great benefit to marine mammals as well as marine bird species. with thermal imaging on an oil response team - recovering and locating the animals is enhanced; initial assessments can be less in invasiveand more accurate for subsurfacial injuries; currently applied washing techniques as well as other treatments could be more easily/accurately assessed and documented for their effectiveness; overall health of the animals could be easily monitored over their stay, treatment and duration in captivity; recovery and quanitative assessments of recovered thermal insulating capacity could be evaluated for release and eventually criterea (mean average overall temperature or trigger target assessments) could be used - to determine acceptability for release. some of the very eagles recently released had documented low overall thermal temperatures which could have indicated possible illness, stress or metabolic fatigue. Subsequent recovery efforts were then necessary, after release, to recover and retreat individuals. From zoos,other institutions and quality natural thermal imaging - it is possible to capture the thermal signatures and profiles of healthy animals of most all species and use these as the scientifuic baselines which to the injured individuals can be compared. Leg,head and body injures (inflamation/bleeding/bruising ) have been noted in birds/animals which on initial assessment were deemed healthy - but injuries were not surfical and lekly overlooked. Also, with some diligence the respiratory and breathing efficiency of the nasal passages can be examined by the relative heat transfer/continuity to the adjacent tissues. This has proven effective in humans and some animals.

If you please have any ideas on how and with whiom I might work with to break the ice in this arena and do some good with rehab I would be so honored to head my life in a meritous technological direction! Thank you *** Judy

907 262-6547 Raveninfrared@aol.com

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012