Message Board Thread - "Tired of PC's"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Tired of PC's Fresh Tracks 5/20/2008
I have been looking into getting a Mac Laptop, as I am tired of these PC's continually needing to be fixed, Vista sucks and everything else that goes on with them.

I would like to know if anyone is using the Flir software on a Mac and if so how well it works, I am running Reporter 8.1

Re:Tired of PC's Jim Haney 5/21/2008
Currently, there are no plans for compatability with Mac computers.

Regards,

Jim Haney
Technical Support
FLIR Systems, Inc.
Office: 978-901-8232
Fax: 978-901-8832
FLIR Corporate: 978-901-8000
ITC Corporate: 978-901-8405
mailto:jim.haney@flir.com
http://www.infraredtraining.com
http://www.flir.com

Re:Tired of PC's Top Gun 5/23/2008
I empathize with Fresh Tracks on this. You can run Windows on a Mac and take advantage of the Mac’s superior stability. You need to purchase one of the newer Mac computers with the Intel-based chipset. Preferably the Core 2 Duo and Mac OS X 10.4 or later will work. The new ones are the MacBook Pro computers. Go to www.VMware.com and look at their technology relating to networking and proven stability. They have a package under the name of “Fusion” which can be downloaded and loaded onto the Mac. Fusion was designed by VMware specifically to work within the Mac environment. Then you can load on any version of Windows and then load the FLIR software. The Fusion sets up the Windows OS as a “virtual machine” and it runs, acts, does as if it is its own computer within the Mac “Host” system and operates seamlessly and concurrently with “Leopard” or “Tiger” (Mac OS Systems). The Windows system could crash, but it doesn’t necessarily hurt the Mac System at all. If Windows dies, simply delete that virtual machine and create another and reload it. You can take a “snapshot” of your virtual machine when it is healthy and if it does crash, you simply restore the VM to that snapshot to restore it. My Windows Vista Ultimate crashed when the Mac powered down on an energy saving shut down and I had to reload it. Under this system, people like FLIR don’t have to design a SW package for Mac. But, the writing is on the wall. As you say, people are getting fed up with the unreliability and twitchiness of Wintel PCs and are migrating into the Apple stores and picking up their new Macs. All the Best.

Re:Tired of PC's Jim Haney 5/28/2008
Even if you use a new Mac with Windows Boot Camp, the software is not supported in that configuration. I have heard rumors of customers getting some of the software to function, but I have no fist hand accounts of this. Anytime someone calls me trying to setup the software or the hardware drivers on a Mac they are not successful. Additionally, we have no resources to support customers using Mac (Mac computers, software, training, etc...).

Re:Tired of PC's Top Gun 5/29/2008
Jim, You missed the boat. Did you use FUSION on a Mac with Windows and FLIR software installed in that order? Probably not.
I just created two reports with Windows XP SP2 and FLIR Reporter 8.2 and MS Office Word 2007 using the Professional Report Wizard on my Mac. I refreshed the summary table in the report with the advanced formulas to get the severity class value to update after I moved the temperature tools around to get the temperature max and ref to the right place on the respective thermograms. It worked just fine. As evidence, I am sending you a copy of one of the reports.
Thanks for your concern.
All the best.

Re:Tired of PC's Top Gun 5/29/2008
Sorry for the too strong position in my last post. It seems that there is pshchological "inertia" here and most users are moving along in Windows and not using Apple computers, hence the inertia of the Apple attitude is ZERO. I have been successful in getting all of these things to work just fine on my new Mac. The Quick Report program works fine and even transferred all of the images off of a ThermaCam T400 into my Mac. It IS TRUE that the Widows "Virtual Machine" operates as if it is a separate computer and has no influence either by or for the Host system. I recommend that Fresh Tracks, Jim Haney and anyone else who is iterested in this to give it a try. I am not an IT professional, just a decend user of computers and have pulled it all off just great.
Take care all.

Re:Tired of PC's jwstocker 5/29/2008
Is anyone outthere runing their FLIR system on LYINX OS

Re:Tired of PC's Jim Haney 7/17/2008
Top Gun wrote:
u missed the boat. Did you use FUSION on a Mac with Windows and FLIR software installed in that order? Probably not.
I just created two reports with Windows XP SP2 and FLIR Reporter 8.2 and MS Office Word 2007 using the Professional Report Wizard on my Mac. I refreshed the summary table in the report with the advanced formulas to get the severity class value to update after I moved the temperature tools around to get the temperature max and ref to the right place on the respective thermograms. It worked just fine. As evidence, I am sending you a copy of one of the reports.
Thanks for your concern.
All the best.
There are no MACs at FLIR to install the Reporter software on anyway. No boat to miss...

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012