Message Board Thread - "Hot cut out fuse"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Hot cut out fuse Thermonic 6/2/2008
Hi all,

I just take an infrared picture of our powerline system and i found some "hot spot" at the lighting pole (see attached image), i consider that the hot spot is just a reflection due to low emmisivity of the fuse cut out holder materials (stainless steel), and there is no thermal gradien on the isolator, but one of them show the different pattern, can someone explain this anomaly ?
I take this picture using thermacam E320, REFLECTED TEMPERATURE 20 degree celcius, and 6 meters distance

regards
sofan

Re:Hot cut out fuse jvoitl 6/2/2008
These definitely do NOT look like reflections. A hot reflection would have to come from something hot in the area. From the angle this image was taken any reflections would probably come from the sky which would show a cold temperature, not a hot one. Also, reflections are fairly easy to rule out, just walk around a little and from different angles they will change. It would help to know the min/max temperature range the camera was set for in this image, as well as the temperatures of the hot spots, to determine severity. However, I have found quite a few fuses like this and from the information available in the image recommend corrective action ASAP.

Re:Hot cut out fuse Gary Orlove 6/2/2008
I have thermally tuned this image so we can make a better diagnosis. This doesn't appear to be a solar reflection to me either.

Gary Orlove
Infrared Training Center

Re:Hot cut out fuse Thermonic 6/3/2008
Gary Orlove wrote:
thermally tuned this image so we can make a better diagnosis. This doesn't appear to be a solar reflection to me either.

Gary Orlove
Infrared Training Center
I Attached another angle of the picture (i just take the picture this moning) now i can see the thermal gradien and better analysis, we plan to shutdown the power because it considering "critical supply" to our office and workshop

thanks for the help
regards

Re:Hot cut out fuse daryl 6/9/2008
These are not reflections. Notice bottom connection on the right phase - not hot! When looking at this type of image I always look for and note phase temperature differences, calculate your severity criteria and make the call based on the delta T that YOU have set for maintenance priority. Another key indicator is that you have differnet parts of each cut out hot. Some hot spots are in the top clip, and at least two are in differnet parts of the lower knuckle. Angles will help, software analysis will determine the extent of your problem - and yes, you have one! Remember FORD!

Re:Hot cut out fuse sympatheticimaging 6/9/2008
Don't forget to consider the wind speed and wind direction on this type of IR analysis.

Re:Hot cut out fuse KRG 6/10/2008
Thermonic wrote:

I just take an infrared picture of our powerline system and i found some "hot spot" at the lighting pole (see attached image), i consider that the hot spot is just a reflection due to low emmisivity of the fuse cut out holder materials (stainless steel), and there is no thermal gradien on the isolator, but one of them show the different pattern, can someone explain this anomaly ?
I take this picture using thermacam E320, REFLECTED TEMPERATURE 20 degree celcius, and 6 meters distance

regards
sofan
I have performed several Infrared scans on fuse cut-outs. They can be very difficult to analyze.
There are a wide range of factors to take into consideration as you have read in the responses to your question.
I haven't read anything in the reply sections concerning the loads on these feeders.
You might want to check this out when your building is in full operation and then re-check the cutouts. Also, you might try taking IR Images at several intervals. Morning, afternoon, night, etc.
KRG.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012