Message Board Thread - "Piping Inspection"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Piping Inspection Ed Roane 7/22/2008
We have a customer that has a four inch sch. 40 insulated process piping system which they think has a build-up on the inside surface of the piping because of reduced flow/constriction which they can see where they have removed a valve and looked into the line.
My question is would Therography be a good inspection tool to inspect an in-service line of this type for internal build-up? I do not know the operatinig temp. or what the line carries at this time.
Thanks
Ed

Re:Piping Inspection Top Gun 7/22/2008
Sedimentation inside piping is visible using thermography under certain conditions. 1) The pipe wall must be visible - no insulation coverings to obscure the pipe wall surface. 2) The fluid that must pass through the pipe must be a different temperature than ambient. It should be at least 5 degrees F. or more. The sediment area will tend to thermally equalize with ambient temperatures surrounding the pipe. The flowing fluid at a different temperature will provide a contrasting pattern from the sedimented areas of the pipe.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Re:Piping Inspection Ed Roane 7/22/2008
Top Gun wrote:
tation inside piping is visible using thermography under certain conditions. 1) The pipe wall must be visible - no insulation coverings to obscure the pipe wall surface. 2) The fluid that must pass through the pipe must be a different temperature than ambient. It should be at least 5 degrees F. or more. The sediment area will tend to thermally equalize with ambient temperatures surrounding the pipe. The flowing fluid at a different temperature will provide a contrasting pattern from the sedimented areas of the pipe.

I hope this helps. Good Luck!
Top Gun
Thank you for the quick reply and info., I will past it on.
Ed

Re:Piping Inspection message boards 3/5/2011
If and when you decide to take that image can you please post? I may have a similar situation at my facility.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012