Message Board Thread - "Camera Question!"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Camera Question! CRCThermal 7/22/2008
I have a bcam sd camera and have turned down a couple electrical scans on equipment lately. I am know thinking of expanding my business into this field possibly, my question is if my bcam is suitable to do these type of ir scans or should a invest into a different model?

Re:Camera Question! Bernie Lyon 7/22/2008
CRCThermal wrote:
a bcam sd camera and have turned down a couple electrical scans on equipment lately. I am know thinking of expanding my business into this field possibly, my question is if my bcam is suitable to do these type of ir scans or should a invest into a different model?
There are two major issues here.
First, the maximum temperature: The BCAM SD has a temperature range from -10°C to +100°C (+14°F to +212°F). Generally speaking, temperatures above 100°C represent a problem, but not always. The severity of the problem is often determined by the temperature and other factors (load, wind, type of equipment, direct or indirect temperatures, etc.)
Next, consider the spatial resolution of the BCAM SD. The focal plane array is 120 X 120. So, with respect to some of the other instruments, it may not have the resolution you need. To test this, see if you can fill or overfill your spot, with the target of interest, when conducting an electrical survey. This will probably work fine if you are indoors and looking at residential lighting panels. However, if you are outside looking at weatherheads and equipment on power poles, you probably will not be able to resolve those targets adequately. If you are considering a different model camera, you might consider renting one for an electrical scan and comparing the results with your BCAM SD.

Re:Camera Question! Kiwi 8/13/2008
CRCThermal wrote:
a bcam sd camera and have turned down a couple electrical scans on equipment lately. I am know thinking of expanding my business into this field possibly, my question is if my bcam is suitable to do these type of ir scans or should a invest into a different model?
I also have a bcam sd and I have used it for residential electrical inspections. I think if you know the limitations of your camera and only inspect to those levels you should be fine. I have borrowed a much higher grade camera for inspecting anything more than a basic residential panel but in comparing images from both cameras of a house panel I found the bcam sd to be accurate for the level needed. Just my opinion.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012