Message Board Thread - "IR wind tunnel"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
IR wind tunnel TAJohnson 7/22/2008
I need to make a small wind tunnel to study the effects of air cooling on silicon pixel detector modules. However here is my problem. I need to be able to IR image the modules from outside the wind tunnel. The tunnel needs to be 12 inched dia and approx 6 feet long. The 12 inch diameter keeps me from putting the camera inside. I know you can get small windows made for IR such as sapphire and zinc selenide.
However these will be to small a viewing area for me. I really need to be able to move the camera to any section along the length at anytime.
I am hoping that I can find some sort of material that I can construct this tunnel out of that will allow me to take temperature readings externally.temp range 60 - 100deg
I would prefer to construct it out of a 12 inch dia tube (easiest solution) but I am fearing that the curve will make it difficult to get good readings. Maybe a box with a one wall being IR transmissive.
Structural rigidity is not required, it simply needs to act as an air barrier.

So can anyone suggest a decent material to accomplish this. I have heard that some polymers such as polypropylene and polyethylene might work to a degree.

Re:IR wind tunnel Bernie Lyon 7/23/2008
TAJohnson wrote:
to make a small wind tunnel to study the effects of air cooling on silicon pixel detector modules. However here is my problem. I need to be able to IR image the modules from outside the wind tunnel. The tunnel needs to be 12 inched dia and approx 6 feet long. The 12 inch diameter keeps me from putting the camera inside. I know you can get small windows made for IR such as sapphire and zinc selenide.
However these will be to small a viewing area for me. I really need to be able to move the camera to any section along the length at anytime.
I am hoping that I can find some sort of material that I can construct this tunnel out of that will allow me to take temperature readings externally.temp range 60 - 100deg
I would prefer to construct it out of a 12 inch dia tube (easiest solution) but I am fearing that the curve will make it difficult to get good readings. Maybe a box with a one wall being IR transmissive.
Structural rigidity is not required, it simply needs to act as an air barrier.

So can anyone suggest a decent material to accomplish this. I have heard that some polymers such as polypropylene and polyethylene might work to a degree.
If structural problems allow you to use thin plastic materials try this:
http://www.homeandbeyond.com/prod-0001826.html
Or, you may use ordinary Glad Wrap. Both materials are good IR transmitters.
If these are too flimsy, Edmund Optics has a flexible IR plastic window material. It has a lower transmission. You can get a square foot for $65.00. I don't know if larger sizes are available.
http://www.edmundoptics.com/US/
Be sure to measure and compensate for transmissive loss.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012