Message Board Thread - "Water distribution plant leaks"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Water distribution plant leaks alad711@aol.com 7/23/2008
There is a water distribution plant that purcases hundreds of thousands of gallons of water. They supply this water to home and businesses which have meters for amount of water they use. Do to the vast difference in what they purchase to what they sell. They feel they have a leak or leaks. They want to be assured that my EX320 can find the leaks rather than dig up their total pipe system. Can my EX320 or any IR camera find the leaks even in concrete outside in the streets? Has nay one done this before? Please email me at Alad711@aol.com

Re:Water distribution plant leaks Ea1Services 8/8/2008
Interesting posts. I just a few weeks back visited a school site that has a simular concern. Glycol leakage in subsurface lines. Having gone to the site and working through the night from manlifts, we had some but limited success with this. I used the very same equipment. As for the concrete areas, don't waste your time. Unless the lines are directly beneath the concrete, a serious leak would be required to conduct the temperature difference required to view it with the camera. Most likely the ground will be so saturated that you wouldn't need a camera.

As for assurances, I never give that level of guarantee. The camera is one tool that has the ability to detect thermal change but it's limited to many factors. Radiant heating systems generally are easy to see but there are time when using the injection of helium does a better job of detecting leaks.

Re:Water distribution plant leaks Oop 8/11/2008
We have a whole department that dedicates it's time to leak locating. They use many different tools, infrared is one, ultra-sound with/without air pressure, leak locators and helium.

Re:Water distribution plant leaks Top Gun 8/11/2008
Oop wrote:
a whole department that dedicates it's time to leak locating. They use many different tools, infrared is one, ultra-sound with/without air pressure, leak locators and helium.
This has nothing to do with this subject matter but does express my opinion on meanings. The word "it's" is showing up quite often around here and its meaning is out of context with how the writer intends to express something. "It's" is a contraction of "it is" or "it has" and not a form of possessive nature. We have possessive pronouns, his, her and its. Save the extra character and get the meaning right. Thanks!

Re:Water distribution plant leaks Sharonna 8/13/2008
Welcome to the 21st century! Has no one heard of spell annd grammer check please! Let's stick to what really matters IR questions and safety! Don't let this happen to you!

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012