Message Board Thread - "Possible moisture on granite wall of a church"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Possible moisture on granite wall of a church mjbanks 8/7/2008
looking for some input on this image. I went to this church where water from all locations was getting into the basement. I took this shot roughly 18 hrs after a heavy rain. Doing a comparitive evaluation, one inside corner looks cooler than the other. A visual inspection indicated that some of the mortar joints were still a little damp. The moisture meter is also confirming this. I have a temperature delta of around 5-6 degrees Fahrenheit. There is a substantial amount of water on the interior wall.

Look like evaporating water, or just convection fooling with me? thanks Mike!

Re:Possible moisture on granite wall of a church Douglas Wood 10/10/2008
mj,
it very well could be moisture since it appears to be laying heavier on the more horizontal surfaces. I would also strongly suggest considering the sun angle as it was setting. If those areas where shaded for a longer period of time as the sun set it may simply be that they cooled earlier.

D.

Re:Possible moisture on granite wall of a church MR. EXCELLENCE 10/10/2008
Do you have some standard photos to compair with.

this looks like cooling from the shaded areas as M.J. Noted. can you take a standard and an IR IMAGE of the inside of the wall...

ues a gray P.

Ron

Re:Possible moisture on granite wall of a church Ea1Services 10/11/2008
MR. EXCELLENCE wrote:
have some standard photos to compair with.

this looks like cooling from the shaded areas as M.J. Noted. can you take a standard and an IR IMAGE of the inside of the wall...

ues a gray P.

Ron
Given that you can have many outdoor influences I would look at this from an interior where you have more control over what you see. When water collects on the exterior side of the cladding,you need to determine where it is going or not going. WRB's when installed properly should control the water and where it goes. When installed correctly any moisture should drain to the lower portions of the wall through weep systems. On older buildings (which this may be) the problems/questions are many. This is why I would investigate interior walls with both IR and moisture sensing equipment.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012