Message Board Thread - "WDI Detection (Termites)"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
WDI Detection (Termites) RCTC 8/8/2008
I am a new member and would like to know if anyone has any information on how to locate termite activity in walls. I have a BCam, is this camera OK? If not what camera type is better. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Re:WDI Detection (Termites) SoCal Infrared 8/15/2008
Now in California, We have to be very vague, very vague....Evidence of some heat signature, some alien being but we can't confirm. Ok I will break the law...Termites.

This was taken with a BCam SD. This picture was taken from the inside of home. This wall was a common wall with garage. When I went in garage I noticed a bunch of storage at garage wall, when I removed storage to look further, I thermaled he wall and same thing....of course much easier now cause I saw the termite tubes at the foundation and decided to break a few tubes and image that too....it was not a good day for termites, I was reinacting the ant bully at this point. Good Luck

Re:WDI Detection (Termites) Ea1Services 8/16/2008
SoCal, don't worry your secret is safe on this board with this group. I work in the SFBAY area and have tried to look for the same. I think it to be a matter of will termites build a nest in the wall? Having seen images of the Formosa variety which does show up on BCAM's I was impressed enough to try to see thermal patterns. So far what I have seen is the effect of the thermal pattern based upon distruction of materials. Since the damage is actual removal of materials and thus the wood is less dense, a rise or fall, depending on the days temp can be seen but not easily. Hopefully someone has a paper to publish in the subject.

Re:WDI Detection (Termites) Ron Bibler 8/18/2008
RCTC wrote:
new member and would like to know if anyone has any information on how to locate termite activity in walls. I have a BCam, is this camera OK? If not what camera type is better. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Yes you can find sub-termites in walls. Dry wood termites is another story. This can take a bit of time to do this. First your camera is fine. its always better to have a better camera but we play the hand we have.

You need a small wall heater with a fan on it.
set the heater about 6 feet aways from the wall area you are going to view. set you camera to auto. you will have 2 windows to work with the first one will be as the wall is heating up and the as the wall is cooling down. if you have termite tubes on the back side of the sheet rock they will come into view for a brife time as the wall heats up then they will go away as the wall overheats for viewing. then shut off the heater view the wall. the tubes will show for a short time as the wall is cooling down.

Ron Bibler
EXCELLENCE EXTERMINATING AND THERMAL IMAGING
WWW.EXCELLENCEEXTERMINATING.COM
HEALDSBURG CALIF

Re:WDI Detection (Termites) Gary Orlove 9/5/2008
Here are links to 3 documents with more information:

http://www.goinfrared.com/media/html/2007-069Rentoul.htm
http://www.globalspec.com/reference/4476/Three-Ways-the-Pest-Professional-Can-Use-Infrared-Thermography
http://www.flirthermography.com/media/13%20James%202002s.pdf

Gary Orlove
Infrared Training Center

Re:WDI Detection (Termites) bdoles 9/5/2008
Here's a photo of a squirrel infestation I came across earlier this year. Opened the wall behind the baseboard and there were 2 small squirrels.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012