Message Board Thread - "Electric Wiring in commercial Building"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Electric Wiring in commercial Building alad711@aol.com 9/2/2008
I was performing a thermal clearance for a restoration company. They had dehumidifier and air movers in this one office. After shutting the machinery down and removing them. I came in to perform thermal imaging to make sure the structure was dry. On one of the walls my EX320 picked up this anomaly in the wall. It ran from the outlet to the adjascent wall. The IR Image is just a section of the anomaly. I have not seen this before. Is this a normal occurance or is there something wrong withe the wiring?

Re:Electric Wiring in commercial Building MRRED 9/5/2008
Is this an exterior or interior wall?

Re:Electric Wiring in commercial Building alad711@aol.com 9/5/2008
MRRED wrote:
an exterior or interior wall?
This is an interior wall.

Re:Electric Wiring in commercial Building HITECHSOLUTIONS 9/5/2008
Wow that is extremely weird! Can you post more images, maybe even some digital images.

Re:Electric Wiring in commercial Building alad711@aol.com 9/6/2008
HITECHSOLUTIONS wrote:
t is extremely weird! Can you post more images, maybe even some digital images.
This is the continuation of the IR photo.

HITECHSOLUTIONS wrote:
t is extremely weird! Can you post more images, maybe even some digital images.
This is the digital photo of same wall. Note the electrical outlet where it began. The whole thing started at outlet as two separate lines eminating from the outlet running up the wall about 6FT then curving to the right at which time they joined togeter and now continued as one line to the adjoining wall which by the way is an exterior wall which has a window.

Re:Electric Wiring in commercial Building ray good 9/6/2008
Inside wall, commercial building, non-linear loads, computers, etc, possible harmonics. Result
would be neutral heating. Verify via difference
between readings of analog and true rms amp meter.
Just a thought.

ray good wrote:
wall, commercial building, non-linear loads, computers, etc, possible harmonics. Result
would be neutral heating. Verify via difference
between readings of analog and true rms amp meter.
Just a thought.
I have no idea of what you are saying about getting the difference between readings of analog and true rms amp meter? Its in a secured building and have no intension of going back. There is a whole big story to this that I do not want to get into here. I only need to know if there is any chance of this being a problem.

Re:Electric Wiring in commercial Building ray good 9/6/2008
Sorry for speaking short hand prior post - result of
many years hvac/r diagnostics. It's the way some of us think. "IF" the heated condition shown in your posted thermogram is due to harmonics, there are potential physical safety and economic loss issues. First, the presence of harmonics in the electrical system must be verified and then the cause determined and rectified. "IF" on the other hand, the blower and or humidifier mentioned in your post was unplugged from the wall outlet shown in the example thermogram within some minutes of your scanning the wall, it may be nothing more than a reasonably fully loaded circuit with the load just having been removed...in which case, no worries.

Re:Electric Wiring in commercial Building wildbill 9/17/2008
This is typical of a highly loaded circuit behind the wall. If it were a bad connection in the outlet the temperatures would be only near the outlet.

What you should have done is inspected the circuit breaker and connection in the panel while it was loaded to confirm this. An amp reading should be taken to determine if it was near overloading.

Tip: Electrical circuits need to be inspected under normal load. It does no good to unplug devices then inspect them. The temperature of the cable inside the wall will be much hotter than what you observed.

Re:Electric Wiring in commercial Building alad711@aol.com 9/19/2008
wildbill wrote:
typical of a highly loaded circuit behind the wall. If it were a bad connection in the outlet the temperatures would be only near the outlet.

What you should have done is inspected the circuit breaker and connection in the panel while it was loaded to confirm this. An amp reading should be taken to determine if it was near overloading.

Tip: Electrical circuits need to be inspected under normal load. It does no good to unplug devices then inspect them. The temperature of the cable inside the wall will be much hotter than what you observed.
I found out from the maintenance people that, the wire or cable was still wet from water damage from ceiling a week later after IR photo was taken. When I asked more questions, they said all they know is the wire was wet. I thank every one who answered this IR Photo. It taught me one important lesson, take more IR photos and question more. Thank all of you.

Re:Electric Wiring in commercial Building Bob Berry 9/20/2008
I doubt the explanation that the wire was wet. I think this is unlikely.

Re:Electric Wiring in commercial Building alad711@aol.com 9/21/2008
Bob Berry wrote:
the explanation that the wire was wet. I think this is unlikely.
Bob I agree with you about the explanation. I can't find out what the real story is because these are just the maintenance people. The building is the United States Federal Courthouse. It is about 1.5 years old. They may be protecting themselves, the builder, or some one else. I did not really expect the true or detailed explanation. I guess I have to let it go.

Re:Electric Wiring in commercial Building BIS 10/2/2008
It looks to me like line above the outlet is a feeder wire and the horizontal and other vert section is the branch going to the next outlet. They probably had the dehumidifier in one outlet and the fan on the other. 84 degrees is not that high and is much lower than the rating on most wire. I think is is just the resistance / heat showing up from the wire and transfering to the surrounding drywall.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012