Message Board Thread - "Help on air condition unit"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Help on air condition unit 376mmc 9/20/2008
I am not in refrigeration, can any one tell me if there is a problem here ?

Re:Help on air condition unit fazlye 9/21/2008
I'll Start,

from the thermogram, i believe that there is some possibility that the condenser coil is clogged or about to get clogged. However you'll need to check with the manufacturer of the coil whether they are using all the coil lines or not.

Attached herewith is a thermogram of a confirmed clogged condenser coil.

Try to flush to condenser coil with nitrogen or R11 refrigerant and reinspect with Infrared. I think this will solve your problem and reduce downtime.

Re:Help on air condition unit alad711@aol.com 9/29/2008
fazlye wrote:
art,

from the thermogram, i believe that there is some possibility that the condenser coil is clogged or about to get clogged. However you'll need to check with the manufacturer of the coil whether they are using all the coil lines or not.

Attached herewith is a thermogram of a confirmed clogged condenser coil.

Try to flush to condenser coil with nitrogen or R11 refrigerant and reinspect with Infrared. I think this will solve your problem and reduce downtime.
Wouldn't the flushing of condenser coil lines have to be performed by a qualified A/C person?

Re:Help on air condition unit inthelight 10/1/2008
looks like poor airflow through the lower 1/3 of the coil.

Re:Help on air condition unit 1st Electric 10/2/2008
There may or may not be a problem. How long has the unit been running. What is the outdoor air temp, are there any restrictions around the unit. More info would allow a better diagnosis. Cleaning would be the first step prior to knowing more. Licensed in HVACR

Re:Help on air condition unit wildbill 10/3/2008
You have a restriction affecting 5 lines. Remove the maintenance side plate and image both sides of the U-Tube connections. This will give an indication of where the restriction is located. There may be a manifold as well that feeds several lines. Check for even temperature across the manifold.

Re:Help on air condition unit Ea1Services 10/13/2008
376mmc wrote:
t in refrigeration, can any one tell me if there is a problem here ?
There is one other possible to address. From time to time, HVAC contractors will use a larger condenser and close off tubes.It's a performance issue that I don't claim to fully understand but it works. The recommendation here is to have a HVAC contractor determine the cause of the visual discription. If it turns out to be restricted/plugged lines, then you should return to re-image after repairs.

Re:Help on air condition unit Tolgar 8/22/2009
The only true way to see how an A/C unit is working is to wash the outside condensor with water hook up a set of gauges and see what your super heat and or subcooling is. make sure the filter is clean. or wash the condensor and check the temperature rise. this is the difference of the warm air going into the evap coil at the furnce and the cool air comeing out. the rule of thumb is 15 to 20 degrees difference. i just got my first imager and i have been doing hvac for a long time

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012