Message Board Thread - "Roofing Inspection Question"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Roofing Inspection Question mkw 9/25/2008
I’ve done thermal imaging inspections for an engineering firm and contractors in which they have been responsible for any test holes in the roof. I’ve been asked to do a thermal scan on a high rise condo roof on my own. The roof is currently under warranty, and the condo association feels that the roofs leaking and the contractor states its fine. In a situation like this, who is responsible to make the test hole in the roofing to determine what’s below the top sheet? My prior reports always had the composition of the roofing stated. Any advice is appreciated.

Re:Roofing Inspection Question WCT 9/29/2008
mkw wrote:
ne thermal imaging inspections for an engineering firm and contractors in which they have been responsible for any test holes in the roof. I’ve been asked to do a thermal scan on a high rise condo roof on my own. The roof is currently under warranty, and the condo association feels that the roofs leaking and the contractor states its fine. In a situation like this, who is responsible to make the test hole in the roofing to determine what’s below the top sheet? My prior reports always had the composition of the roofing stated. Any advice is appreciated.
I'd say the condo association, but it depends on the warranty language. The condo association is the consumer and they must be responsible for getting the work done they want. If you do not offer the service then it is up to them to source out the service. They are probably better off hiring an engineering firm. Those guys can subcontract you for the IR and probably do the cores themselves.

Re:Roofing Inspection Question sdrennan 10/1/2008
mkw wrote:
ne thermal imaging inspections for an engineering firm and contractors in which they have been responsible for any test holes in the roof. I’ve been asked to do a thermal scan on a high rise condo roof on my own. The roof is currently under warranty, and the condo association feels that the roofs leaking and the contractor states its fine. In a situation like this, who is responsible to make the test hole in the roofing to determine what’s below the top sheet? My prior reports always had the composition of the roofing stated. Any advice is appreciated.
If the roof is under warranty, the repair to the hole must be repaired by a contractor who is certified/approved by the roof manufacuturer. he Owner will typically have us hire the contractor and include those costs in our fees. If you repair the hole, the warranty will probably be voided and the Owner will have lost tat avenue.

Good luck!

Re:Roofing Inspection Question SLR 10/2/2008
If you only want composition info for the report, the owner should have this and you can note the source in the report.

Warranties generally do state, as sdrennan noted, who is allowed to make repairs and alterations. Depends on the warranty and who issued it. Is it the contractors wty or a manufacturers wty??

Do you have some idea of the roof composition?

Re:Roofing Inspection Question mkw 10/2/2008
Thanks for all the responses. The roof is PVC.

Re:Roofing Inspection Question B. Boyd 10/3/2008
mkw wrote:
for all the responses. The roof is PVC.
Before opening the roof is there any evident leak activity. If there is a leak the contractor has an obligation to investigate and repair. If leaks and causes have been identified, then the scan will help determine how much, if any of the roof assembly has been compromised, and a course of action can be formulated. Any test openings would be made by the installing contractor or at very least should be present when the work is carried out.

Becareful scanning PVC, the surface is quite reflective and will show any objects in close proximity like masonry walls, equipment and adjacent buildings.

Re:Roofing Inspection Question mkw 10/3/2008
The Condo Association & the Roofer have been going back and forth as to the location of the leaks. The Condo Association wants the scan to try to determine if the roof is leaking, or the walls as the roofer claims. I want nothing to do with any penetrations on the roof and will leave that up to them to decide how that's done. Thanks for the input on the PVC roof, I plan on scanning as the roof cools and when it's heating up.

Re:Roofing Inspection Question glassman 11/6/2008
Who pays for the hole to be cut and reinstated? good oneas no one wants to pay. However you have been asked to do the inspection and you belive there is an issue with certain parts of the roof. To fully confirm there is a leak you need to curt a hole and check the substate as part of your investigation, so it must follow that you charge the people who have instructed or you tell them they need to get the roof patched. The one person who does not pay is you. If they will not play ball then just give them your report with a recommendation that they need to csarry out further intrusive investigation. I have in my terms a clause that clearly states that the instructing client is responsible for either the cost of making good or the making good. Maybe worth thinking about!
The Verifier.

Re:Roofing Inspection Question Tucan73 12/9/2008
Do not cut the roof yourself. The contractor should do the cuts. If no cooperation from the contractor, talk with the manufacturer. If the roof is more that 2 years old the manufacturer is the one responsible. Depending on the leaks location the roofer may have a valid case. The perimeter copings and terminations may allow moisture in. The other common areas are the units on the roof.

Re:Roofing Inspection Question PR0M0E 12/23/2009
mkw wrote:
if you put a test hole in roof, it will make null and void roof warranty....be careful,dont let a dollar fine you a seat in court...do not do it!!!!!!!
Mike

Re:Roofing Inspection Question scandalus 8/19/2010
mkw wrote:
Is there anyone here IR certified who operates in Missouri? Seeking any level thermographer. Respond if you amy. Thank you.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012