Message Board Thread - "Substation Capacitor Banks"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Substation Capacitor Banks LoSmith 10/8/2008
I just wanted to pass on some scans that I took of a 2400kVAR capacitor back at one of our 12.47kV substations. After attending the Electrical Inspection Applications class I found a significant problem. In the class we learned sometimes it not what is hot but what is not. During the scan I found that the three phase capacitor bank only had one phase energized. The pictures indicate that the B phase capacitors are energized while the A and C phases were not. After checking the line fuses we found that the A and C phase fuses were blown but had not dropped. During my investigation I went to several of our other substations and found that all energized capacitors show radiant heat hense the moral of the story. If you see a bank of capacitors and one of them is not showing heat then it has failed or has a blown fuse.

Re:Substation Capacitor Banks Pete 11/5/2008
Excellent catch. You are to be commended

Re:Substation Capacitor Banks mickey 11/12/2008
Pete wrote:
nt catch. You are to be commended
Can you tell me the type fuses you are using to protect your Cap Banks? Thank you

Re:Substation Capacitor Banks LoSmith 11/12/2008
mickey wrote:
Can you tell me the type fuses you are using to protect your Cap Banks? Thank you
Each phase of the three phase bank is protected by an S & C 100 amp fuse model number SM4 part number 122150R4. Each individual 200kVAR capacitor can is protected by a EJ45 fuse. Not sure of manufacturer right off hand. Los

Re:Substation Capacitor Banks mickey 11/12/2008
LoSmith wrote:
Each phase of the three phase bank is protected by an S & C 100 amp fuse model number SM4 part number 122150R4. Each individual 200kVAR capacitor can is protected by a EJ45 fuse. Not sure of manufacturer right off hand. Los
Thank you for the quick answer.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012