Message Board Thread - "Exposure to high temps"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Exposure to high temps misterjafs 10/9/2008
Hi,

1)
I'm wondering what kind of damage I might do to the camera by exposing it to temperatures above it's range. We are thinking of investing in a FLIR T200 with range up to +1200°C for research and audits around furnaces (melt temperatures of 1450°C).

2)
Do you think the T200 is a "value for money" camera to be used for temperature ranges from ambient to around +1000°C? No need for finding e.g. miniature size hot-spots in electronics etc.

I am gratefull for every comment!

Re:Exposure to high temps Bob Berry 10/9/2008
If by "around furnaces" you mean outside the furnace, then you are unlikely to come across temperatures this high externally.

Re:Exposure to high temps misterjafs 10/10/2008
Bob Berry wrote:
around furnaces" you mean outside the furnace, then you are unlikely to come across temperatures this high externally.
Around furnaces someone might film hot melts (slags etc) or there might be someone who's intrested in taking a look into the furnace and by mistake might do this through the camera.
I will not be the only one using it, so I think my worries are justified.

So the question is: Is there a severe risk for burning the camera "cell" (or what's it called)?

Re:Exposure to high temps ec 10/10/2008
If you will use the camera to look inside the furnace through an inspection port, then your camera and your hands can be exposed to very high heat. So, protect your hands and the camera by using a heat shield. I have seen cameras where the plastic parts got burnt or melted due to the high heat.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012