Message Board Thread - "Nuclear equip for roofs?"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Nuclear equip for roofs? CRCThermal 10/10/2008
Have found the need to add nuclear testing to my roof surveys to coincide with my infrared scans. Having a hard time locating manufactures of the equipment. Have found one company in the states (cpn) but would like some more for comparison sake. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re:Nuclear equip for roofs? SLR 10/15/2008
CRCThermal wrote:
und the need to add nuclear testing to my roof surveys to coincide with my infrared scans. Having a hard time locating manufactures of the equipment. Have found one company in the states (cpn) but would like some more for comparison sake. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I used to use a Troxler gauge. They are in North Carolina and make a lot of construction test equipment like you see in road work. Recently saw a Seaman in operation. It read differently than the Troxler, using bigger numbers to refelct the same levels, but appeared to "do the same thing". Nuclear guage ownership requires quite of bit of red tape, state fees everywehere you go and regulations. If not familiar with these, would suggest you check into before purchase.

Re:Nuclear equip for roofs? CRCThermal 10/15/2008
SLR wrote:
I used to use a Troxler gauge. They are in North Carolina and make a lot of construction test equipment like you see in road work. Recently saw a Seaman in operation. It read differently than the Troxler, using bigger numbers to refelct the same levels, but appeared to "do the same thing". Nuclear guage ownership requires quite of bit of red tape, state fees everywehere you go and regulations. If not familiar with these, would suggest you check into before purchase.
Thank you for the reponse. I have looked into all the red tape quite a bit, it looks like it will be a pain but this something my customers are asking for. When you used it did you find it to be as useful as the infrared scans in terms of the amount of usage?

Re:Nuclear equip for roofs? SLR 10/17/2008
CRCThermal wrote:
Thank you for the reponse. I have looked into all the red tape quite a bit, it looks like it will be a pain but this something my customers are asking for. When you used it did you find it to be as useful as the infrared scans in terms of the amount of usage?
Very useful for ballasted single plys as these do not IR very well if at all. If you have a lot of these in your market, a nuclear guage would be a good asset in my opinion. The nuclear is more precise in determining moisture content and is not as dependant on the roofing knowledge of the technician.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012