Message Board Thread - "Fire Pump / Flanges Hot!!"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Fire Pump / Flanges Hot!! manuel-thermoimagen 11/11/2008
well, i take this image of the fire pump, and noted Hot Flanges, after little investigation, discover the water output was totally closed. question is: why flanges get hot?

Re:Fire Pump / Flanges Hot!! fazlye 11/19/2008
can u post the digital image and if possible can tell me whether there is other equipments near the pumps?

Re:Fire Pump / Flanges Hot!! fazlye 11/19/2008
I think it might be cause by the heat transfer from the pump to the pressurised water inside the flanged. as you mention the valve is not opened thus the water is just being pressurised inside it, as you maintain the pressure on the water inside the piping.. the water eventually became hotter and please remember that there is a layer of rubber in between the flange which have better emissivity... try to scan again at the same flange but with the valve open... im assure you will see a different... i guess..

Re:Fire Pump / Flanges Hot!! manuel-thermoimagen 11/28/2008
fazlye wrote:
it might be cause by the heat transfer from the pump to the pressurised water inside the flanged. as you mention the valve is not opened thus the water is just being pressurised inside it, as you maintain the pressure on the water inside the piping.. the water eventually became hotter and please remember that there is a layer of rubber in between the flange which have better emissivity... try to scan again at the same flange but with the valve open... im assure you will see a different... i guess..
yes..
once the valve switchs to OPEN position, the water flow starts to cooldown the valve body ..

thermography avoids damages to valve and maybe pump too.

this pump was turned on for test porpuses and guy forgets open valves.

thanks!!

Re:Fire Pump / Flanges Hot!! DonW 12/10/2008
You said that the fire pump was started for a test. With that thought I would have to assume that the pump had only been running for a short time when the IR images were taken. I would also have to assume that the pump was at ambient temperature prior to starting the pump. The ambient temperature is most likely the temperature you are seeing in the flanges and other areas where the metal thickness is greater than the wall thickness of the pipe. The differences in mass of the flanges, top of the valve, and thicker areas of the pump body and the thinner pipe-wall can cause the temperature differences you are seeing.

Re:Fire Pump / Flanges Hot!! jvoitl 12/11/2008
I really doubt that the flanges are at ambient temperature. The rectangle area on the main flange shows it is somewhere in the neighborhood of 160 degrees F. Unless there really is a fire I don't think this is ambient temperature. The background is black showing a temperature below the 96 degree minimum temperature range. Since fire pumps are normally indoors that is probably the ambient temperature, whatever it is.

Re:Fire Pump / Flanges Hot!! L.W. 1/6/2009
With the valve closed, the fluid inside would get hot in a short time due to mechanical work done to it, it would heat the pump housing and the flanges would heat at a slower rate due to mass and remote location. Since the flanges are warmer than the casing, I would guess the pump was already shut off at the time of photo and we are seeing residual heat in the flanges because they would also cool slower than the housing???

Re:Fire Pump / Flanges Hot!! E1 4/20/2009
I think it is an energy manifestation due to the stress into the flanged connections. That is not 100% like that because the piping connections- as minimum between two consequent flanges should be also stressed and there are no such signs. Anyway is not thermal effect- pump is not hot, is only manifesting some stressed areas.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012