Message Board Thread - "Cool spots where ceiling and wall meet"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Cool spots where ceiling and wall meet Ted 11/24/2008
I have seen this quite often in our scans of homes. My partner says it is air infiltration coming through the eaves and cold spots caused by the rafter tails. The outside temperature is 60 dgrees. Inside temperature is around 68 degrees. Would such a small temperature difference between the inside and out cause this.

Re:Cool spots where ceiling and wall meet Luckystars 11/28/2008
The rafters sit on the top plate at an angle. The insulation does not pack in around the void completly. The rafters and studs are cooler so they transmit into the voids.
I hope that helps.

Re:Cool spots where ceiling and wall meet glassman 12/9/2008
Hi This is very tight on temps and without knowing the roof structure it is hard to determine. However given the very varied signiture at each joist junction are you seeing metal strapping and condensation.There does not apear to be enough flare for poor insulation running from the cold spots. needs a bit more investigation into what elements you have in place.
Stay well
The Verifier.

Re:Cool spots where ceiling and wall meet bill.venn 12/9/2008
There seems to be an apparent air infilltration in this corner. However it is also true that corners and wall ceiling joints such as this have a poor insulation factor than just a wall or roof alone. The 90 degree angle has a specific reduction in insulative value. Please go to the R value calculator at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory for a better explanation and specific R value calculations for this type of system.

Re:Cool spots where ceiling and wall meet Tucan73 12/10/2008
I have done more than 5,000 scan of building interior and have had theses results with as little as 3 degree temp differances. This is normal. It is air leakage at joints in the material junctions. The only way to stop this is to seal the joints before the finish goes up.

Re:Cool spots where ceiling and wall meet doctorleak 12/11/2008
I concur with the statement regarding the insulation and air leakage theory. I would also like to point out that the last rafter on the right shows the biggest flare which may be attributed to an unsealed seam in the vapour barrier. It has been my experience that vapour barriers at transitions of plane and at seams hardly ever are properly sealed.

Doctorleak

Re:Cool spots where ceiling and wall meet Coloradocam 12/11/2008
Ted wrote:
seen this quite often in our scans of homes. My partner says it is air infiltration coming through the eaves and cold spots caused by the rafter tails. The outside temperature is 60 dgrees. Inside temperature is around 68 degrees. Would such a small temperature difference between the inside and out cause this.
Since these cold spots are in line with the roof trusses, could it be metal truss brackets that connect the structure components. These will show up as colder spots as they are metal and are conducting the colder temperatures into the sheetrock.

Re:Cool spots where ceiling and wall meet LenMelso 12/18/2008
No offense, but if you don't know what this is, you'd better get some training or experience. It is cold conduction from the framing transfering it's temp onto the drywall. Why is it "thicker" in some areas? It's because where the framing intersects eachother, it is a denser area and thereby transmits a more concentrated area of temperature. All top plates of walls (except in OVE) are doubled to support load and this concentration of lumber causes the cold area along the top of each wall. Remember, only cavities can be insulated, and insulation doesn't seal out air leakage, so you will see anomalies like this all over homes.
-Len Melso
Infrared Energy Services

Re:Cool spots where ceiling and wall meet Ted 12/18/2008
LenMelso wrote:
nse, but if you don't know what this is, you'd better get some training or experience. It is cold conduction from the framing transfering it's temp onto the drywall. Why is it "thicker" in some areas? It's because where the framing intersects eachother, it is a denser area and thereby transmits a more concentrated area of temperature. All top plates of walls (except in OVE) are doubled to support load and this concentration of lumber causes the cold area along the top of each wall. Remember, only cavities can be insulated, and insulation doesn't seal out air leakage, so you will see anomalies like this all over homes.
-Len Melso
Infrared Energy Services
Let's see... I went to the training conducted by FLIR and received my Level 1 certification, and experience is gained by doing thermal imaging and asking questions on let's say the ITC website, so offense taken.

Re:Cool spots where ceiling and wall meet LenMelso 12/20/2008
I truly apologize for the beginning of my previous reply.
Len

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012