Message Board Thread - "Bogus Lawsuit?"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Bogus Lawsuit? Tweb69 12/12/2008
We are an engineering firm in Eastern , NC. We provide Thermal Imaging to our customers and potential clients as an added service. We recently received a letter from a company called "HOMESAFE Inspection" from Mississippi, telling us that they held the patent for "certain U.S. Patents related to the use of infrared technology in the inspection of homes", and that we were engaged in using infrared technology without first obtaining a license from them to do so! They went on to say that they would be happy to license us their technology for as little as $79.00 a month AFTER we had been certified by their organization to use their "patented technology" (that according to their website..."can see through walls").I'm asking if any of you have ever received a letter like this and if anyone had any reasons why we shouldn't sue this individual for attempted extortion. Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated. If ANY of this is found out to be bogus, We fully intend on legally pursuing these grifters.

Thank You,
Tommy Webster
Andrew Engineers, P.C.
Wilmington, NC
 
Re:Bogus Lawsuit? Intertec 12/15/2008
Here is a link I found regarding the lawsuit.

http://www.nachi.org/forum/f11/patent-rights-infrared-held-homesafe-inspection-34615/
 
Re:Bogus Lawsuit? LenMelso 12/18/2008
Tweb69 wrote:
an engineering firm in Eastern , NC. We provide Thermal Imaging to our customers and potential clients as an added service. We recently received a letter from a company called "HOMESAFE Inspection" from Mississippi, telling us that they held the patent for "certain U.S. Patents related to the use of infrared technology in the inspection of homes", and that we were engaged in using infrared technology without first obtaining a license from them to do so! They went on to say that they would be happy to license us their technology for as little as $79.00 a month AFTER we had been certified by their organization to use their "patented technology" (that according to their website..."can see through walls").I'm asking if any of you have ever received a letter like this and if anyone had any reasons why we shouldn't sue this individual for attempted extortion. Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated. If ANY of this is found out to be bogus, We fully intend on legally pursuing these grifters.

Thank You,
Tommy Webster
Andrew Engineers, P.C.
Wilmington, NC
Throw it out. I know of this to be true in a sense. Someone (and I'm surprised they are from Mississippi) supposedly patented using IR in home inspections, but they can't find a lawyer to waste efforts trying to sue anyone for patent infringement. He's prob trying to get some cash flow going so that a lawyer will take his case seriously. People will do anything for money these days.
- Len
Infrared Energy Services
 
Re:Bogus Lawsuit? Ea1Services 12/20/2008
http://www.homesafeinspection.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=293&Itemid=111

Says he can see through walls and has a demanding course. Sure am glad I went through Snell and ITC and not this guy. Personally I would not worry about this guy. All someone needs to do is follow behind him on a home inspection with a video camera and then serve him up to an attorney. Open and shut. Read the standards of the Home Inspection Professional Association and you'll see he is up to his elbows in alligators.
 
Re:Bogus Lawsuit? Ea1Services 12/20/2008
http://www.homesafeinspection.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=293&Itemid=111

Says he can see through walls and has a demanding course. Sure am glad I went through Snell and ITC and not this guy. Personally I would not worry about this guy. All someone needs to do is follow behind him on a home inspection with a video camera and then serve him up to an attorney. Open and shut. Read the standards of the Home Inspection Professional Associations (ASHI and CREIA and I'm sure you'll find the same in his state of Mississippi and you'll see he is up to his elbows in alligators because he goes "beyond the standard home inspection".
 
Re:Bogus Lawsuit? Gary Orlove 1/19/2009
The link below contains some advice from FLIR Systems for your use in determining whether a HomeSafe license is required to use your camera for building inspections.

http://flir.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/497
 
Re:Bogus Lawsuit? Ea1Services 1/23/2009
Gary.....the link says it has been removed?
 
Re:Bogus Lawsuit? HPP1 2/12/2009
Just think, if this guy is trying to make money in a stuggling economy, off fellow inspectors,which is what he's doing. What may be happening to their paying customers,and people they are training. They should be reported to the better business bureau. These are the type of people that make it difficult to provide services,by making the potential client scared. this is just a money making scam!!! What an A**!!! Would like to hear their response to all of this! I have been doing lots of odd jobs to make ends meet, and I would never try to pull something like this just to make a buck! People like this real piss me off!
 
Re:Bogus Lawsuit? Ea1Services 2/13/2009
HPP1 wrote:
ink, if this guy is trying to make money in a stuggling economy, off fellow inspectors,which is what he's doing. What may be happening to their paying customers,and people they are training. They should be reported to the better business bureau. These are the type of people that make it difficult to provide services,by making the potential client scared. this is just a money making scam!!! What an A**!!! Would like to hear their response to all of this! I have been doing lots of odd jobs to make ends meet, and I would never try to pull something like this just to make a buck! People like this real piss me off!
HPP1 email me Jfrishof@yahoo.com
 
Re:Bogus Lawsuit? EScanlan 2/27/2009
Possibly someone at FLIR can provide an update to this lawsuit against Homesafe?

http://www.nachi.org/forum/f58/flir-sued-homesafe-read-lawsuit-37679/
 
Re:Bogus Lawsuit? Gary Orlove 3/2/2009
EScanlan wrote:
Perhaps somebody at FLIR can provide an update to this lawsuit against Homesafe?

http://www.nachi.org/forum/f58/flir-sued-homesafe-read-lawsuit-37679/


This case has been settled and both parties are satisfied with the resolution.
 


  • Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

     

  •   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012