Message Board Thread - "Bogus Lawsuit?"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Bogus Lawsuit? Tweb69 12/12/2008
We are an engineering firm in Eastern , NC. We provide Thermal Imaging to our customers and potential clients as an added service. We recently received a letter from a company called "HOMESAFE Inspection" from Mississippi, telling us that they held the patent for "certain U.S. Patents related to the use of infrared technology in the inspection of homes", and that we were engaged in using infrared technology without first obtaining a license from them to do so! They went on to say that they would be happy to license us their technology for as little as $79.00 a month AFTER we had been certified by their organization to use their "patented technology" (that according to their website..."can see through walls").I'm asking if any of you have ever received a letter like this and if anyone had any reasons why we shouldn't sue this individual for attempted extortion. Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated. If ANY of this is found out to be bogus, We fully intend on legally pursuing these grifters.

Thank You,
Tommy Webster
Andrew Engineers, P.C.
Wilmington, NC

Re:Bogus Lawsuit? JKEngineer 12/13/2008
It may be bogus, but there is a patent assigned to them on the uspto.gov website.
Here's the link: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=%22HOMESAFE+Inspection%22&OS=

Here's the abstract:
Method for residential indoor environmental quality inspection and monitoring

Abstract
Data on indoor air quality can be obtained using air monitoring stations. Air stations can provide information on odor and chemicals, microscopic airborne particulates, carbon monoxide, relative humidity, temperature and carbon dioxide. This data on indoor air quality, however, does not in itself provide a sufficiently comprehensive picture of indoor air quality. The data can be correlated with an infrared home inspection to facilitate the identification of factors affecting indoor environmental quality in a specific residence. Additionally, data on air quality can be obtained using mold air samples. Additional data on indoor environmental quality can be obtained using a sound pressure level meter to measure sound levels (indoor/outdoor) and temperature changes over time. A report on indoor environmental quality can be provided to a homeowner.

and here are two sample claims:
The invention claimed is:

1. A method to provide a report identifying factors effecting indoor environmental air quality for a residence comprising: recording indoor air quality data for at least 24 hours; creating a temperature differential of greater than 10.degree. F. between the interior and the exterior of the residence; obtaining at least one temperature profile of at least one interior building component of said residence; wherein said indoor air quality data is compared to a thermal anomaly to identify factors affecting indoor environmental quality; and providing a report identifying factors effecting indoor environmental air quality for the residence.

13. A method to identify factors affecting indoor air quality of a residential building having an interior and an exterior, comprising the steps of: creating a temperature differential of greater than 10.degree. F. between the interior and the exterior of the residential building; obtaining at least one temperature profile of at least one interior building component; assessing said at least one temperature profile for a thermal anomaly; obtaining data on indoor air quality; and comparing the data on indoor air quality with at least one temperature profile for an anomaly to identify a factor effecting indoor air quality.

I have not taken the time to read this carefully, but it sure strikes me as someone patenting the obvious and the already widely practiced.

I think we will all be very interested to hear further from you.

Jack M. Kleinfeld, P.E.
Kleinfeld Technical Services, Inc.
Infrared Thermography, Finite Element Analysis, Process Engineering

4011 Hillman Ave
Bronx, NY 10463

718-884-6644
866-884-6644 toll free
212-214-0919 fax and voice mail

JKEngineer@aol.com or JKEngineer@KleinfeldTechnical.com
come see what we can do for you: http://www.KleinfeldTechnical.com

Re:Bogus Lawsuit? Ea1Services 12/15/2008
I may not be an attorney but this seems "Fishy" to me. If this patent holds water then anyone that performs energy audits using thermal imaging is in violation. Mr Lee did not create the method for performing such inspections so is it the intention to prevent us all from working without paying his fee? Personally if it does have any legs I think we should collectively file a suite against this bull!

Re:Bogus Lawsuit? Tweb69 12/16/2008
I would be real curious to see if anyone has actually "bought in" to the theory that this guy's case is substantial. I thought I would sit back and see if there was anymore threatening correspondence from them. We fully intend on doing business as usual. But our attorney assures us that "HOMESAFE Inspections" doesn't have a leg to stand on...now we're investigating whether what he's doing is illegal or not. Then we're going after his business license.

Re:Bogus Lawsuit? Gary Orlove 1/19/2009
The link below contains some advice from FLIR Systems for your use in determining whether a HomeSafe license is required to use your camera for building inspections.

http://flir.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/497

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012