Message Board Thread - "Process control and preventive maintenance "

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Process control and preventive maintenance mike.andrews 12/15/2000
We wish to use thermal imaging technology for process control and for preventive maintenance. How can this be done effectively?

RE:Process control and preventive maintenance jdemonte 1/4/2001
Mike,

Your question covers a very broad subject. Thermal imaging can be used for a multitude of preventive/predictive maintenance applications. My experiences have led me to choose small hand held wireless imaging systems for these applications. This type of camera allows for quick convenient surveys, and is easy to carry for those long walks that one must take to perform the task.

Process control, on the other hand, is typically done by mounting a camera in place and controlling it remotely. If the process does not need to be monitored constantly, a handheld camera (same as the one for preventive maintenance) is a fine choice if you can get close enough to view it.

Do you need two separate cameras? It is possible that you may only need one. I can't answer that question until I know what frequency you will need to monitor your process. I can, however, say that there is a camera that can be controlled remotely and has local controls built into it's case for handheld wireless operation as well. If you didn't need to constantly monitor a process with one camera, the SC2000 from FLIR can be used effectively to do both (but not at the same time). Check out the website at:

http://www.flir.com/thermog...

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Joe DeMonte
Thermography Course Instructor
itc, N. Billerica, MA
joe.demonte@infraredtraining.com

RE:Process control and preventive maintenance allen.frechette@flir.com 1/5/2001
Hi Mike,

In response to your question regarding whether there are infrared cameras for automation applications, the answer is YES.

FLIR systems has a complete line of cameras engineered specifically for process control and automation applications.   These cameras can communicate with LabView, or they can be configured to work with some existing systems.

We are always interested in new applications. Feel free to give me a call to discuss the application in more detail.

Allen Frechette
FLIR Systems Automation
978 901 8576

RE:Process control and preventive maintenance JKEngineer 1/7/2001
Mike -

I just caught up with your posting.

Infrared is certainly a good option for process control in many industries and processes. However, it need not always be image based. Depending on the need, line scanning or point readings can be more appropriate.

A hand held camera is generally the instrument of choice for preventive maintenance.   

I would be glad to help you explore this further if you wish. You can contact me as shown below.

Jack

Jack M. Kleinfeld, P.E.
Kleinfeld Technical Services, Inc.
Infrared Thermography, Finite Element Analysis, Process Engineering

4011 Hillman Ave.
Bronx, NY 10463

phone:    718-884-6644
tollfree: 866-884-6644
fax & voice mail: 212-214-0919
JKEngineer@KleinfeldTechnical.com or JKEngineer@aol.com
come see what we can do for you: http://www.KleinfeldTechnic...

RE:Process control and preventive maintenance jdemonte 1/11/2001
Mike,

Your question covers a very broad subject. Thermal imaging can be used for a multitude of preventive/predictive maintenance applications. My experiences have led me to choose small hand held wireless imaging systems for these applications. This type of camera allows for quick convenient surveys, and is easy to carry for those long walks that one must take to perform the task.

Process control, on the other hand, is typically done by mounting a camera in place and controlling it remotely. If the process does not need to be monitored constantly, a handheld camera (same as the one for preventive maintenance) is a fine choice if you can get close enough to view it.

Do you need two separate cameras? It is possible that you may only need one. I can't answer that question until I know what frequency you will need to monitor your process. I can, however, say that there is a camera that can be controlled remotely and has local controls built into it's case for handheld wireless operation as well. If you didn't need to constantly monitor a process with one camera, the S60 from FLIR can be used effectively to do both (but not at the same time). Check out the website at:

http://www.flirthermography.com/english/cameras/camera/1026/

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Joe DeMonte
Thermography Course Instructor
itc, N. Billerica, MA
joe.demonte@infraredtraining.com

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012