Message Board Thread - "Inside bedroom wall ?"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Inside bedroom wall ? 376mmc 2/16/2009
The wind is blowing 2mph, outside temp is 49.8 F and this appears to to be cold air blowing in between the wall and roof line. Any thoughts on this? Customer had 10" insulation blown in last year and attic appears to be covered well with fiberglass insulation.

Re:Inside bedroom wall ? IRJay 2/16/2009
top plate boards have separated and caused a gap and the insulation has blown back from over the top plate. Either or a combination of each.

Re:Inside bedroom wall ? LenMelso 2/21/2009
I think you are correct, it looks like a typical cold air intrusion and conduction which is very common near the eaves and soffit vents. Notice the other wall where the temp graph is covering doesn't show it? That is most likely the gable wall or another room beside it. Dbl nailed wall top plates and header above window really conduct the colder temps comp to the interior wall temps. Both aren't a cavity, therefore cant be insulated. Problem is, the o/s temp really isn't that cold. The image doesn't appear thermally tuned. Did you check w/ a moisture meter? I always check anything that appears like it could be moisture vs. cold conduction. It takes all of 10 seconds.
All the attic insulation in the world cant stop cold air leakage. Always remember, insulation = R-value which is only resistance to heat passing through, not keeping out cold. So many people mistakenly insulate their garage ceiling and walls only to be disappointed that it doesn't really make a diff. b/c they aren't heating the area.
Hope I helped.

Re:Inside bedroom wall ? 376mmc 2/22/2009
Thanks for the comments, IRJay and LenMelso.
The outside temp was 49.8 F (inside was 69 F), wind was 2-3 mph and gusting to 8 mph.
Yes ! Used a Protimeter 2000 numerous locations and no moisture was detected. The house is a brick rancher, about 37 years old, facing north west, same direction as wind was blowing. I agree with LenMelso that Dbl nailed wall top plates and header above window really conduct the colder temps.
Thanks again folks.

Re:Inside bedroom wall ? gbrady 3/7/2009
LenMelso wrote:
you are correct, it looks like a typical cold air intrusion and conduction which is very common near the eaves and soffit vents. Notice the other wall where the temp graph is covering doesn't show it? That is most likely the gable wall or another room beside it. Dbl nailed wall top plates and header above window really conduct the colder temps comp to the interior wall temps. Both aren't a cavity, therefore cant be insulated. Problem is, the o/s temp really isn't that cold. The image doesn't appear thermally tuned. Did you check w/ a moisture meter? I always check anything that appears like it could be moisture vs. cold conduction. It takes all of 10 seconds.
All the attic insulation in the world cant stop cold air leakage. Always remember, insulation = R-value which is only resistance to heat passing through, not keeping out cold. So many people mistakenly insulate their garage ceiling and walls only to be disappointed that it doesn't really make a diff. b/c they aren't heating the area.
Hope I helped.
I would be careful telling people that insulating a garage is a mistake. As a builder in N.E. for 35yrs I beg to differ. As a thermographer I have seen temperature differentials of 20 degrees F on attached garages with insulated walls, ceiling and garage doors.

Re:Inside bedroom wall ? singh 3/12/2009
gbrady wrote:
I would be careful telling people that insulating a garage is a mistake. As a builder in N.E. for 35yrs I beg to differ. As a thermographer I have seen temperature differentials of 20 degrees F on attached garages with insulated walls, ceiling and garage doors.
is this look better ?

Re:Inside bedroom wall ? msm 2/11/2010
IRJay wrote:
te boards have separated and caused a gap and the insulation has blown back from over the top plate. Either or a combination of each.
What is the suggested fix, if this assesment is accurate?

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012