Message Board Thread - "Is this roof a problem?"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Is this roof a problem? chuckpc 2/23/2009
I scanned the outside of this home.
The day was very cloudy all day, and very cold.
The entire roof looked bright mustard yellow.
The house was built around 1945, should the roof
appear this warm? I don't have alot to compare to.

Please offer your opinion.

Charles

Re:Is this roof a problem? Raphael ITC Eurasia 2/23/2009
Your thermogram does not say much. Can you change the span and re-upload it?
What kind of rood is that?
What are the conditions inside, and outside?
Thanks.

Re:Is this roof a problem? chuckpc 2/23/2009
Raphael ITC Eurasia wrote:
ermogram does not say much. Can you change the span and re-upload it?
What kind of rood is that?
What are the conditions inside, and outside?
Thanks.
In about a week, since this is a test case.

The roof is asphalt shingle.
60F inside, 30F outside.
Entire roof is this consistant temperature.

Re:Is this roof a problem? Bob Berry 2/24/2009
I dont really see anything in the image that suggests a problem with the roof itself. Am I correct in my assumption that this is a sloped roof, do you know how steep the slope is? If so, is it a warm or cold roof design? Can you post a visual? I also suggest you reduce the span, or maybe try another pallette.

Re:Is this roof a problem? chuckpc 2/25/2009
Yes the roof is sloped.
Not sure what a cold or warm roof design is.
The house is old, built in 1940s and in MA.
I will retest and take a regular picture.

I'm just wondering if roofs are normally cold
or emit some heat. I thought this was unusual or due to the age and design capabilities of the time it was built. I expected to see a cold roof, however keep in mind I'm a newbee and also I will change the span and the palet.

Feedback is appreciated on this roof.

Re:Is this roof a problem? Gary Orlove 2/25/2009
I have made a quick analysis of this image. The apparent sky temperature is -15.8 C, I have entered this value as reflected apparent temperature. I set the emissivity to 0.95, the average roof temperature is 6.5 C and the average siding temperature is -1.1 C.

I have adjusted the span on the image below for a better look. This appears to be a very warm roof, several degrees above ambient temperature and I would say there is a significant thermal problem.

Re:Is this roof a problem? chuckpc 2/25/2009
Gary Orlove wrote:
made a quick analysis of this image. The apparent sky temperature is -15.8 C, I have entered this value as reflected apparent temperature. I set the emissivity to 0.95, the average roof temperature is 6.5 C and the average siding temperature is -1.1 C.

I have adjusted the span on the image below for a better look. This appears to be a very warm roof, several degrees above ambient temperature and I would say there is a significant thermal problem.
Thanks for checking.

I plan to capture more images and change the span when convenient for the person in a couple weeks. Also, I plan to compare temperature of other roofs in the neighborhood as well.

Re:Is this roof a problem? dfrancke 3/4/2009
I have to agree that this looks like a significant energy loss. With this being an older home, unless it has been re-insulated there is probably minimal insulating value left in whatever insulation was originally installed.

Another thought is if the heating system is ducted through the attic there could be multiple leaks that are heating the attic sufficiently to give this heat loss through the roof.

Re:Is this roof a problem? photoutah 3/5/2009
the roof temp looks to even for heat loss from within the home to me.
You said it was very cloudy all day. But my guess is -a dark colored roof and solar heat gain.Normal.

Re:Is this roof a problem? Seb Thunevin 3/5/2009
The wall is more hot than the roof for same emissivity I hope, so I think the roof is a big problem.
Indeed, The U value of a roof must be better than the U value of a wall.

Re:Is this roof a problem? Ben10 3/6/2009
How was the opposite side of the roof.
Can you give us a view from a distance.

Re:Is this roof a problem? gbrady 3/9/2009
I would consider imaging from the interior for better information especially if this is an uninsulated roof system (cold roof design). I would also not rule out solar gain on a cloudy day.

Re:Is this roof a problem? StecGuy 9/8/2009
Here's my interpretation. A better overall shot is required showing eave to ridge. You have to remember that the asphalt shingles have a way larger thermal capacity than the wall materials, and will hold heat longer than the wall materials, showing a difference as they cool, so you cannot compare the two. The even heat pattern (as observed) from low to high does not suggest a large thermal loss from the ceiling areas. Typical heat loss in a vented shingle system would show a colder eave (due to exterior air being pulled in at that point), and a warmer ridge, as the air heats up inside the attic space. The above heat patterns suggest either, no air flow at all through the attic space (non-vented), or very even flow with not much alteration of the air's heat levels as it passes through the attic space.

There is a lot more information, other than infrared that is required to perform an evaluation on this system.

Re:Is this roof a problem? lelec 10/5/2009
Il serait intéressant de savoir si les graviers de la toiture était bien réparti.
Mon impression est qu'il y a probablement un problème de par air ou par vapeur a l'intérieur de la structure. Cela Laisse entrer de l'humidité sous la membrane de la toiture et créer une anomalie thermique. L'eau reste en plus grand quantité a certain endroits et laisse une signature thermique différente. Si et seulement si la densité de gravier est constante.
Comme par exemple le thermogramme suivant.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012