Message Board Thread - "Inexpensive IR camera for building diagnostics"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Inexpensive IR camera for building diagnostics MikeC 3/14/2009
Hi,

I am interested in low income weatherization and I am looking into ways to reduce the costs of setting up local teams to diagnose building leakage problems. A full up blower door and IR camera costs about $6000 to $10000.

Would it be possible to use as low end IR device such as an IR/ night vission camera to spot major leaks in a building? If so, any suggestgions as to which model to use?

Also, rather than using a blower door, could you use a powerful window fan? I have located a model capable of 3500 cfm.

I forsee these being used on existing low income housing which is likely to be very leaky this low/tech low cost method might just do the trick.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Mike Cohen
mrc06405b (at) gmail.com

Re:Inexpensive IR camera for building diagnostics Ea1Services 3/14/2009
Mike no one likes the fact that to open a business large dollars is the common denominator. While you don't have to buy the highest price equipment it is important to buy what is appropriate for the task. I would suggest taking a building sciences course to determine camera needs. I don't want to speak for ITC but I do believe that you not owning one currently won't be a problem as typical classes would have many students bringing theirs. (and sometimes may types)

As to the door question, blower doors when needed have the ability to seal in the opening and measure air flow which is important if your to be professional in your work.

Lastly and most importantly, look into developing a business plan before doing anything and then work from that point. You're getting into business for one reason, to make a profit! If you don't understand what that will take then how will you know what equipment you will need? Hope that was some help.

Re:Inexpensive IR camera for building diagnostics Ea1Services 3/14/2009
Mike no one likes the fact that to open a business large dollars is the common denominator. While you don't have to buy the highest price equipment it is important to buy what is appropriate for the task. I would suggest taking a building sciences course to determine camera needs. I don't want to speak for ITC but I do believe that you not owning one currently won't be a problem as typical classes would have many students bringing theirs. (and sometimes many types)

As to the door question, blower doors when needed have the ability to seal in the opening and measure air flow which is important if your to be professional in your work.

Lastly and most importantly, look into developing a business plan before doing anything and then work from that point. You're getting into business for one reason, to make a profit! If you don't understand what that will take then how will you know what equipment you will need? Hope that was some help.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012