Message Board Thread - "Expansion Join at HRSG Heater of gas fired Turbine"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Expansion Join at HRSG Heater of gas fired Turbine manuel-thermoimagen 4/14/2009
Inspected several Expansion Joins of HRSG gas fired turbine. i found this image where some areas reaches 340 celsius.

any comment will be appreciated..

image is radiometric, which means you can download it and can be analyze it with your infrared software.

Re:Expansion Join at HRSG Heater of gas fired Turbine manuel-thermoimagen 4/14/2009
found this paper called:

INFRARED EVALUATION OF NEW AND IN-SERVICE REFRACTORY IN HEAT RECOVERY STEAM GENERATORS

Take a look at:

http://www.affinigent.com/marketing/sites/8/IRUG_HRSG.pdf

roberto.cruz@thermoimagen.com

Re:Expansion Join at HRSG Heater of gas fired Turbine manuel-thermoimagen 4/14/2009

HRSG INSPECTION PLANNING GUIDE

http://www.tetra-eng.com/document/IPG2Example.pdf

found this ebooks titles too:

http://www.ebook-search-engine.com/HRSG-ebook-all.html

Re:Expansion Join at HRSG Heater of gas fired Turbine Bob Berry 4/15/2009
Firstly; I have never seen an expansion joint on a HRSG this hot before. So you should be a bit concerned about it.
Secondly; the pattern is not that unusual.
Thirdly; your image is taken at the point where the exhaust gas is at its hottest. The gas here is probably about 530°C. Your temperature of 340°C is almost 200°C colder than the internal temperature. This suggests that there is still some thermal resistance, and makes a gas leak unlikely.
While I would not panic about this and would not look to schedule an emergency shutdown, I would certainly flag it as a potential problem, and refer it to the manufacturer. I have seen these over 250°C and been told by the manufacturer that it was within its design limitations. I would also suggest that you find out what type of steel is used in this part of the HRSG, and try to find out the carbonisation temperature for that type of steel, this will give you a good idea how significant this is.
I don’t consider failure to be imminent on this, and I have seen failures on a HRSG before.

Re:Expansion Join at HRSG Heater of gas fired Turbine manuel-thermoimagen 4/15/2009
13 months ago Image (same area)

Re:Expansion Join at HRSG Heater of gas fired Turbine manuel-thermoimagen 4/15/2009
8 months ago Image (same area)

Re:Expansion Join at HRSG Heater of gas fired Turbine manuel-thermoimagen 9/22/2009
Updated image same HRSG, Same expansion Joint, diferent date (aug 2009)

Re:Expansion Join at HRSG Heater of gas fired Turbine TDLIR 9/22/2009
This is a common problem with boilers such as this. No need to shut down to repair. You can monitor and also the plant engineer may decide to cool the area down externally via steam sparger or lance. This type of temporary fix is extremely common and sometimes ends up being a permanent fix... :)

During the next scheduled turnaround they can perform an internal inspection and fix the problem.

Note that you have another problem at the manway cover.

Re:Expansion Join at HRSG Heater of gas fired Turbine manuel-thermoimagen 1/27/2010
Updated image same point, temperature on hot spot continues raising.

Re:Expansion Join at HRSG Heater of gas fired Turbine manuel-thermoimagen 1/27/2010
you can download radiometric image and explore with the varios reporting software (image is jpg radiometric), just point cursor over image and "save as" in your computer.

Re:Expansion Join at HRSG Heater of gas fired Turbine manuel-thermoimagen 5/21/2010
well, temperature continues raising, i will keeping posting images as long as i can.

Re:Expansion Join at HRSG Heater of gas fired Turbine mr.heater 10/26/2010
All I added was a couple of spot points. I am only replying because I am curious as to how this all turned out.

Re:Expansion Join at HRSG Heater of gas fired Turbine manuel-thermoimagen 10/29/2010
Thanks Mr heater.. hope can have new images before year ends.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012