Message Board Thread - "Calculating R-value"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Calculating R-value PittedPrune 4/23/2009
I have a question. Can I calculate the R-Value of insulation in a ceiling or wall, by just knowing all of the parameters?
Outdoor temp. 92 F
Attic temp. 102F
Indoor temp 84F.
Have a spot meter temp of 95.3 F where it does appear insulation is missing. All other areas are 84.5F +/- including the adjacent walls.
So final question is can I determine what the specific R-value is of an area without going in the attic?

Re:Calculating R-value Bob Berry 4/24/2009
R-values can at best be estimated. And even this represents a "best guess". R-values are steady state values, and your images are not taken under the same conditions, so the calculated value is very unlikely to match up with table values.

I would not encourage you to go down this route, you will end up with an estimated value, but you cant really use the figure for anything

Re:Calculating R-value PittedPrune 4/24/2009
Bob Berry wrote:
s can at best be estimated. And even this represents a "best guess". R-values are steady state values, and your images are not taken under the same conditions, so the calculated value is very unlikely to match up with table values.

I would not encourage you to go down this route, you will end up with an estimated value, but you cant really use the figure for anything
Thank you Bob,

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012