Message Board Thread - "Belt driven equipment temperatures"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Belt driven equipment temperatures IR Frog 4/27/2009
I was wondering if there are any guidelines for belt temperatures for belt driven equipment for a CBM program. Does the temperature criteria change based on sheave ratios, speeds, vfd driven vs constant speed driven motors, or any other variables. Recently in my company's program, we have detected two seperate occurences with belt temperatures around 200 degrees F. I will post images in both C and F. This sheave ratio is 1.69:1 speed up ratio. The belts were watched at 168 degrees F and on a PMT after changing the sheaves and belts and laser alignment they were observed at 188 degrees F. Any input would greatly be appreciated.

Re:Belt driven equipment temperatures rbushee 4/27/2009
Hi IR Frog: It looks to me like you should check your belt stock, looking at the image it looks like the belt may be stressing in the middle if all the belts are showing heat in the same place it may be a bad group. Hope this helps.

Re:Belt driven equipment temperatures manuel-thermoimagen 4/27/2009
i guess this has something related to Temp vs belt lasting. maybe manufacturers can helps.

if belt drive is to tight, can cause pulley or bearing misaligment in the short time.

remember this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6-CiSyI9oE

where the rubber band gets hot or cold depending on stretch?.. maybe belt drive works similar.

let us now whats your findings.

regards.
roberto.cruz@thermoimagen.com

Re:Belt driven equipment temperatures Ea1Services 4/28/2009
I would look for even heating which would indicate full imbedment in the groove of the pullys. I appears that you have either an alignment concern or early signs of failure of the belt. Overtightening of the belt can cause this as well.

Re:Belt driven equipment temperatures Laland 4/29/2009
On your previous reading, did you check the tension of the belt? Maybe it is too tight.

Re:Belt driven equipment temperatures MCB 5/6/2009
I have seen more loose belts have high temperatures than tight belts. If your alignment is good and you have new belts and sheaves, I would definately check for loose, or improperly fitted belts.

Re:Belt driven equipment temperatures James Seffrin 5/11/2009
IR Frog wrote:
ondering if there are any guidelines for belt temperatures for belt driven equipment for a CBM program. Does the temperature criteria change based on sheave ratios, speeds, vfd driven vs constant speed driven motors, or any other variables. Recently in my company's program, we have detected two seperate occurences with belt temperatures around 200 degrees F. I will post images in both C and F. This sheave ratio is 1.69:1 speed up ratio. The belts were watched at 168 degrees F and on a PMT after changing the sheaves and belts and laser alignment they were observed at 188 degrees F. Any input would greatly be appreciated.
Dear IR Frog:

The topic of Temperature Limits for Drive Belts is covered in this week's IRINFO.ORG Tip of the Week.

This Tip is available free of charge by visiting the following URL:

http://www.irinfo.org/tip_of_week_2009.html#t05112009

Further information on temperature limits can be found in the Standard for Infrared Inspection of Electrical Systems & Rotating Equipment. Copies are available from Infraspection Institute.

Hope this helps.

Jim Seffrin, Publisher
IRINFO.ORG

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012