Message Board Thread - "Window material for THz/far far infrared region "

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Window material for THz/far far infrared region Jasonb 6/16/2003
I am a research student at UMIST, I would like to know what materials are suitable in the transmission range of 100um - 300um.Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Jason

RE:Window material for THz/far far infrared region Gary Orlve 6/18/2003
Jason,
I did a little searching on the internet and came up empty on this one.
Most of the references I have do not extend spectral characteristics beyond 50 micrometers. However, I did find some information in my personal library. Here is what I found: "Crystal Quartz cuts off all radiation between approximately 4 and 40 microns and makes an excellent window material for wavelengths greater than 40 micrometers." Unfortunately, there were no graphs or cut off specifications listed. "Clear polyethylene on the other hand transmits very well from about 15 to 1000 micrometers (apart from a narrow absorption band at 134 micrometers) and makes an excellent window material for the far infrared." "Measurements by T.K. McCubbin and W.M. Sinton at room temperature indicate that for a 1mm thick window a transmission of about 75 percent may be obtained over the whole far infra-red spectrum except near 134 micrometers." These quotes were taken from "The Detection and Measurement of Infra-Red Radiation," second edition, by R.A. Smith, F.E. Jones and R.P. Chasmar, Oxford University Press, 1968. Diamond looks promising, but the spectral transmission curves I found did not extend beyond 50 micrometers. There is a chart in the Infrared Handbook (revised edition, fourth printing, 1993, edited by Wolfe and Zissis, ISBN: 0-9603590-1-X) on page 7-17 which illustrates the spectral transmission of optical materials. Diamond extends out to about 100 micrometers and terminates in an angle, which indicates that it transmits at least to that wavelength, and probably further. Sorry I don't have more specific information, but I hope this is useful.

Bernard R. Lyon JR.
ASNT NDT Level III # LM-1970
Thermography Course Moderator
Infrared Training Center

Re:Window material for THz/far far infrared region FIR 5/14/2004
I am an researcher at CAT,India . our group going to build a FIR FEL(80 micron).I am looking for a window which tansmit the FIR and prevent the vacuum in electeon beam line . I come to know that ploythen is good material for this range but I not soure about the prevantion of vacuum . Can you tell me some manufacture or literature so that I can push my activity

Re:Window material for THz/far far infrared region FIR 5/14/2004
I am a researcher at CAT,India . our group going to build a FIR FEL(80 micron).I am looking for a window which tansmit the FIR and prevent the vacuum in electeon beam line . I come to know that ploythen is good material for this range but I not soure about the prevantion of vacuum . Can you tell me some manufacture or literature so that I can push my activity

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012