Message Board Thread - "Need help on perorming calibration on FLIR camera by using blackbody?"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Need help on perorming calibration on FLIR camera by using blackbody? ciglady 4/28/2004
I have a FLIR camera needed to be calibrated. I have a MIKRON M305 blackbody. I am not sure how to do the calibration?
Do I have to attach the camera on the "black hole" or keep a specific distance from the hole, only aimimg it?
Is there any info from websites for the calibration?
Thanks so much!
ciglady

Re:Need help on perorming calibration on FLIR camera by using blackbody? jgagnon 4/28/2004
FLIR cameras cannot be calibrated in the field. If you would like to send the camera in for recalibration you can contact the FLIR service department at 1-800-464-6372.

Regards,

Jason Gagnon
FLIR Systems - Boston
Technical Support
e-mail: jason.gagnon@flir.com

Re:Need help on perorming calibration on FLIR camera by using blackbody? ciglady 4/28/2004
Jason,
Thanks for your suggestion. So I am wondering what does the blackbody for? Not for IR camera calibration?
Thanks
Ciglady

Re:Need help on perorming calibration on FLIR camera by using blackbody? Gary Orlove 5/5/2004
Blackbodies are useful to check the calibration of the camera; to determine when the camera might need a full recalibration.

They are also useful for measuring IR transmissions, IR reflections, and to increase measurement accuracy by providing a known temperature reference in the field of view.

Gary Orlove
Infrared Training Center

Re:Need help on perorming calibration on FLIR camera by using blackbody? Thermasearch 5/15/2004
Most imagers, at present, are not calibrated in the field because the manufacturers maintain the software used to change the viewed data (if not correct) is proprietary.

The statement "in calibration" can be verified and the unit considered in cal. if the black body is in cal. and traceable to a standards laboratory. Key words, 'VERIFIED and TRACEABLE." Verified is what you are attempting, traceable requires a proper paperwork trail. Contact your blackbody manufacturer for the distance from the viewing port (hole) that the imager must be placed, it WILL make a difference in your readings. The black body should be at least four times more accurate(typically) than the instrument being calibrated.

A paper on the subject was presented at this years IRINFO (irinfo.org).

Again, I must stress that you can verify calibration with your blackbody under the right use and documentation but if found out of cal tollerances(manufacturers spec.s) you will have to send the unit back to the manufacturer for a calibration AND alignment to within spec.s.

I own a thermography business and a calibrations laboratory equiped with a williamson blackbody.

Good luck

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012