Message Board Thread - "Hot Secundaries support Rings "

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Hot Secundaries support Rings manuel-thermoimagen 9/3/2009
Hi there..
i take several images of Diferents Subestations transformers, would like to hear from you what can be happening here.. maybe eddy current o induction?

regards.

Re:Hot Secundaries support Rings manuel-thermoimagen 9/3/2009
another Secundaries on diferent transformer

Re:Hot Secundaries support Rings HEETMaine 9/7/2009
Is the transformer oil filled?

Re:Hot Secundaries support Rings 1wade 9/8/2009
manuel-thermoimagen wrote:
Secundaries on diferent transformer
This could possibly be a lose connection on the inside of the tank where the tap connects to the through bushing. I have found over the years that it doesn’t take much to cause a grate deal of heat and once a connection start to heat it just continues to increase and if it is that hot on the outside imagine the heat on the inside transferring through. Hope this help, 1wade

Re:Hot Secundaries support Rings irathermographer 9/14/2009
1wade wrote:
This could possibly be a lose connection on the inside of the tank where the tap connects to the through bushing. I have found over the years that it doesn’t take much to cause a grate deal of heat and once a connection start to heat it just continues to increase and if it is that hot on the outside imagine the heat on the inside transferring through. Hope this help, 1wade
I agree. The balanced heating of the phase leads and the connection areas indicate the heat is coming from the inside.

Re:Hot Secundaries support Rings manuel-thermoimagen 9/17/2009
HEETMaine wrote:
transformer oil filled?
yes.. i take care of oil level.

i had dude, due, in the past i had seen hot ceramics bushings, which indicates heat coming from the inside tank conecctions.

but, in this case, i am confused due the only rings around ceramics are hots.

Re:Hot Secundaries support Rings TDLIR 9/17/2009
I noticed that some of the images the bushings are the hot areas, while some other ones it is the “rings” or support plates are hot.

Remember that sometimes IR cannot tell you the cause of the problem or cannot tell you what the problem is. You may need further investigations and monitoring.

It can be an internal connection problem or even inductive heating (where the “rings” are the only heating) or any other problem.

I would suggest performing an airborne ultrasound survey and listen for any signs of arcing or tracking. Even try a safe contact on the winding area listening for anything strange. I would also recommend doing a dissolved gas analysis of the oil. I would also recommend doing a full IR on the entire transformer(s) looking at the winding areas and the radiator fins. Look at the temperature gauge on the transformer and note the max. needle where it is. If it is at a high position even though the current needle is at a low reading, this shows that at some point the transformer temperature did go up for some reason. If you can also look at the tap changer box, look at that also.

Also, perform a thorough visual inspection noting any leaks or discolorations. Even a change in operating noise.

Unless they can shut it down and check inside, there is really nothing else you can do other than close monitoring with a multi-technology approach.

Make sure and record the loads whenever you perform your checks.

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012