Message Board Thread - "Protecting camera from RF"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Protecting camera from RF JKEngineer 11/6/2009
I did a demonstration for a potential client where there was a lot of RF being generated. The camera (a PM 390) was clearly influenced by the RF -- screen changes, various displays on the screen that did not belong there, etc. It recovered as soon as the RF stopped, but I am concerned about damage. Does anyone have thoughts about how to protect the camera? Perhaps a Faraday cage?
Thanks,
Jack

Jack M. Kleinfeld, P.E.
Kleinfeld Technical Services, Inc.
Infrared Thermography, Finite Element Analysis, Process Engineering

Bronx, NY 10463

718-884-6644
866-884-6644 toll free
212-214-0919 fax and voice mail

JKEngineer@aol.com or JKEngineer@KleinfeldTechnical.com
come see what we can do for you: http://www.KleinfeldTechnical.com

Re:Protecting camera from RF TDLIR 11/6/2009
Hi Jack,

I get that a lot when doing stator core inspections on the large power plant generators. I also use a PM390.

The images will seem to distort on the viewfinder, but I have never had a problem with the captured data on the PCMCIA card.

In all my years of doing inspections in high RF environments, I have never had corrupted data (knock on wood), but always get distorted viewfinder displays.

Sometimes moving or changing position helps.

Regards,

Sonny

Maybe this will help.

Just a bit of humor. But I have never had any permanent damage to my imager from high RF.

Re:Protecting camera from RF JKEngineer 11/6/2009
Hi Sonny,

I have also done a stator inspection and it did not do anything like what I experienced in this situation.

With the under-test equipment energized the camera's screen tore, showed all sorts of things that did not belong - including the FLIR logo, which normally NOT present on my machine, as well as a bunch of other stuff that I don't remember clearly. It's been a while since this happened (as opposed to my forgetting the foil lining in my hat).

Jack

Jack M. Kleinfeld, P.E.
Kleinfeld Technical Services, Inc.
Infrared Thermography, Finite Element Analysis, Process Engineering

Bronx, NY 10463

718-884-6644
866-884-6644 toll free
212-214-0919 fax and voice mail

JKEngineer@aol.com or JKEngineer@KleinfeldTechnical.com
come see what we can do for you: http://www.KleinfeldTechnical.com

Jack,

That sounds excessive. It also sound like it may have the potential to corrupt the firmware along with the memory card.

You have to ask yourself if the job is worth the risk to your camera. If the money is good and can pay for a replacement, then you can take the chance.

You would be surprised of the jobs I refuse because it puts either my camera or me in danger or at too much risk.

Best Regards,

Sonny

Re:Protecting camera from RF Wireman 11/9/2009
Jack
I have had this problem very severely as much of my work is within very high magnetic fields. I constructed a shield from mumetal (nickel-iron alloy) that has a very magnetic permeability. It works to some extent but it is not perfect. I believe the optimum shape is a cylinder and as I have it "moulded" to the shape of the PM595, then I guess this could be the reason. If you google mumetal you should get some idea of what the metal can do in different % properties.

Re:Protecting camera from RF manuel-thermoimagen 11/10/2009
Hi Jack..

i have PM350 doing arc welding process inspection, lot of electric interference. first sympthoms werw viewfinder distorsions and after severas seconds later camera operation freezes (no buttons works), having to turn camera off and on several times.

solution for camera electronics was: go back to safety distance and use the ZOOM function.

regards
roberto.cruz@thermoimagen.com

Re:Protecting camera from RF JKEngineer 11/13/2009
Thanks for the responses!

Jack

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012