Message Board Thread - "Porosity in aluminum"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Porosity in aluminum rookie 1 11/16/2009
We are trying to find a way to identify porosity in aluminum. I know aluminum casting has a reflective problems and high emissivity (if I have this correct lol). In taking a few pictures we think that we can see indications of porosity. Any help would be appreciated.

Re:Porosity in aluminum jvoitl 11/16/2009
How about posting a few pictures. Also aluminum has a very low emissivity, depending on the finish.

Re:Porosity in aluminum rookie 1 11/16/2009
jvoitl wrote:
ut posting a few pictures. Also aluminum has a very low emissivity, depending on the finish.
having trouble posting pictures becuase to large

Re:Porosity in aluminum rookie 1 11/16/2009
rookie 1 wrote:
having trouble posting pictures becuase to large
https://share.acrobat.com/adc/document.do?docid=3a4d7b6c-225d-49ed-ac26-1cea560616cb this a Webb site with pictures

Re:Porosity in aluminum TDLIR 11/18/2009
The best way to find surface porosity in aluminum would be to use a Fluorescent Liquid Penetrant Test Also know as dye penetrant.

For internal porosity, you should go with Radiography.

I do not think IR will help you here. You may be able to find gross porosity with IR, but then again, this type of porosity will be seen visually. The very small micro prosity will probably not show due to imager Resolution and sensitivity issues.

Re:Porosity in aluminum ndtcdn 12/4/2009
TDLIR wrote:
t way to find surface porosity in aluminum would be to use a Fluorescent Liquid Penetrant Test Also know as dye penetrant.

I do not think IR will help you here. You may be able to find gross porosity with IR, but then again, this type of porosity will be seen visually. The very small micro prosity will probably not show due to imager Resolution and sensitivity issues.

To actually see the porosity in alumimum casting, the best results can be achieved with portable X-Ray equipment. We have yet to purchase this equipment, however I believe it could be an asset to a true Non-Destructive Testing program.

http://www.vidisco.com/Casting.asp

Re:Porosity in aluminum thermalbb 12/4/2009
ndtcdn wrote:
To actually see the porosity in alumimum casting, the best results can be achieved with portable X-Ray equipment. We have yet to purchase this equipment, however I believe it could be an asset to a true Non-Destructive Testing program.

http://www.vidisco.com/Casting.asp
Thanks for the information> I appreciate the help.

TDLIR wrote:
t way to find surface porosity in aluminum would be to use a Fluorescent Liquid Penetrant Test Also know as dye penetrant.

Thanks for the information> I appreciate the help

TDLIR wrote:

Thanks for the information> I appreciate the help

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012