Message Board Thread - "Roof scans winter conditions"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Roof scans winter conditions David Wix 12/17/2009
I have been requested to perform an infrared roof moisture survey on a builtup roof with fiberglass insulation installed over a steel deck. The roof has leaked in the past so we are assuming there will be wet insulation. The warehouse is not heated. Qst.: During freezing weather conditions, will the wet insulation freeze and not show a thermo image?
 
Re:Roof scans winter conditions certir 12/18/2009
David Wix wrote:
been requested to perform an infrared roof moisture survey on a builtup roof with fiberglass insulation installed over a steel deck. The roof has leaked in the past so we are assuming there will be wet insulation. The warehouse is not heated. Qst.: During freezing weather conditions, will the wet insulation freeze and not show a thermo image?
I don't know what part of the country you're in but here in the northeast we stop doing roof IR surveys about November 1. There is not enough energy in the sunlight at this time of the year. We start up again in March. I once did one in January at the insistance of my client and found nothing yet we knew the roof had multiple problems. A rescan 3 months later was indeed very effective.
 
Re:Roof scans winter conditions David Wix 12/18/2009
certir wrote:
I don't know what part of the country you're in but here in the northeast we stop doing roof IR surveys about November 1. There is not enough energy in the sunlight at this time of the year. We start up again in March. I once did one in January at the insistance of my client and found nothing yet we knew the roof had multiple problems. A rescan 3 months later was indeed very effective.
Thank you for your responce. The scan is in Kentucky. I've had good results during cold weather conditions when everything else is favorable and the building is heated. Typically the heat loss through the roof's wet insulation is detected during the roof survey. This building is not heated and I believe the any wet insulation was possibly frozen, which in turn, will not produce a thermo image. The night of the scan was 27 deg. F. We have had several days below 32 deg F and hopefully will have some days above freezing soon to permit a rescan. I will post my future scan results and findings.
 
Re:Roof scans winter conditions Lex 12/31/2009
David Wix wrote:
Thank you for your responce. The scan is in Kentucky. I've had good results during cold weather conditions when everything else is favorable and the building is heated. Typically the heat loss through the roof's wet insulation is detected during the roof survey. This building is not heated and I believe the any wet insulation was possibly frozen, which in turn, will not produce a thermo image. The night of the scan was 27 deg. F. We have had several days below 32 deg F and hopefully will have some days above freezing soon to permit a rescan. I will post my future scan results and findings.
Hi,

Interesting posts - particularly at this time of year.
I survey in the UK and struggle from November through to March to find suitable conditions. Would daytime temperatures of 36F (2C) followed by nighttime temperatures of 21F (-6C) be pointless to even try given that the roof is dry and the building is heated. Previously I have only tried night time surveys since direct sunlight severely reduces the 'window of oppertunity'?

Any feedback greatly appreciated as we are all learning.
 
Re:Roof scans winter conditions Randy 1/5/2010
David,
I have been doing roof scans in NC (a bit south of you) for about 15 years, virtually year round. Although a little more difficult in the winter, it can be done. The primary requirments are a 10 degree drop in outside temperature from the high point of the day at the time of your scan (Lex from the UK mentioned 36F daytime and 21F after dark, which is ideal), a heated building and a dry roof surface. Little to no wind is also helpful. In deference to earlier posters, I'll admit that those conditions are easier to achieve here than in the northeast and I understand them "shutting down" for the winter.
 


  • Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

     

  •   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012