Message Board Thread - "Infrared Cameras and Log Homes"

Back to Threads | Back to Forums

TitleByPosted On
Infrared Cameras and Log Homes msm 1/6/2010
I am new to the business of thermal imaging. My company has purchased a FLIR i7 camera and started to test it on log homes. We are a log maintenance company and our primary usage is for preventative maintenance. For example, we are going to do scans on our structures before we "turn over the keys" to help avoid call backs. Does anyone have experience with log structures and are there any log specific problems/situations I should be aware of?

Re:Infrared Cameras and Log Homes high rez 1/7/2010
Moisture could be a problem. Wet logs will conduct heat at a faster rate than dry logs. You may also see evaporative cooling taking place as the moisture transfers to the dry interior. I would highly recomend depressurizing the home to 50pa and look for breaks in the air barrier. I hope this helps. If you would like more detail please contact me @ g.brady@infrarednewengland.com

Re:Infrared Cameras and Log Homes msm 1/15/2010
high rez wrote:
e could be a problem. Wet logs will conduct heat at a faster rate than dry logs. You may also see evaporative cooling taking place as the moisture transfers to the dry interior. I would highly recomend depressurizing the home to 50pa and look for breaks in the air barrier. I hope this helps. If you would like more detail please contact me @ g.brady@infrarednewengland.com
Thank you. Is it possible to depressurize the home to 50pa without a blower door? I've read that you can simulate a blower door by shutting all windows/doors and turning on all the exhaust fans in the house.

Re:Infrared Cameras and Log Homes PETE46 1/20/2010
msm wrote:
Thank you. Is it possible to depressurize the home to 50pa without a blower door? I've read that you can simulate a blower door by shutting all windows/doors and turning on all the exhaust fans in the house.
I do not believe that the 50 Pa negative pressure can be reached without a good size fan.
need to find a digital pressure gage and turn on all the fans in the house.

Re:Infrared Cameras and Log Homes Gary Orlove 2/3/2010
This paper will review and discuss the benefits of infrared thermography as its thermal imaging technology applies to the investigation and inspection of log home construction. Specifically, this paper will discuss the results and findings of infrared imaging used to evaluate thermal performance properties of log structures. In addition, this paper will discuss the utilization of infrared imaging for mapping air leakage or infiltration when used in conjunction with blower door / fan pressurization testing.

http://www.logbuilding.org/InfraRedLogHomes.pdf

Gary Orlove
Infrared Trainin Center

• Back to Threads
  • Back to Forums

•   Copyright © FLIR Systems, Inc 2012